Chapter 10: Thriller

Jonathan and I tried really hard to spend Halloween in, just laying on the couch watching scary movies and handing out candy to the kids that came to the door. I dressed up in a fairy princess maternity costume.

 I dressed up in a fairy princess maternity costume

Jonathan decided to be a doctor.
"I'm so turned on right now." I told him taking in his pale blue green scrub shirt and pants.
"Oh. Are you now?" He purred walking towards me.
"We're definitely keeping those for... other activities."
He wrapped his arms around me.
"Why wait?" He kissed my neck.
*RING RING*
I sighed.
"Hello." I answered.
"Hi. I'm so sorry to bother you but Agent Daniels said I could call you if Elizabeth was having trouble adjusting?" A woman's voice said over the phone.
"Oh. Mrs. Cooper. Of course. What's going on?" I asked.
"We were going to take all of the kids trick or treating and she shut herself in the bathroom and won't come out. Every time one of us try to talk to her she just starts screaming. We don't know what to do." She stressed.
"Okay. Okay. My husband and I will be right over."
"Thank you so much."
Jonathan looked at me confused as I hung up the phone.
"Elizabeth Cooper was placed with her father's brother and his family while they're on trial. That was Emma Cooper, the aunt. Elizabeth is having some kind of break down or something. I told Kay to give them my number in case something like this happened. You remember how I was when I moved in with you guys."
"I do. You wouldn't leave my side, for months. I could barely be out of your sight." He smiled at me.
"She doesn't have a you..."
He leaned down to kiss me and we went down to the car. I directed Jonathan to the address Emma and David Cooper gave us when we released Elizabeth to them.
Jonathan followed behind me to the front door.
Emma opened the door. A short woman with bright blonde hair and blue eyes looked at me.
"May I help you?" She asked.
"I'm Director Alexia Black and this is my husband Jonathan. You called about Elizabeth." I answered.
"Oh my God. I had no idea it was the director's number Agent Daniels gave me." She exclaimed.
"She called me after they found Elizabeth and I came to sit in the hospital with her." I smiled.
"You do that? I just... I mean you must be so busy." She stuttered.
"Actually, since I got pregnant I've stepped back a bit for the health of my twins."
"Oh my God. I'm so rude. Please, come in."
"Where's Elizabeth?" I asked.
"She shut herself in the bathroom down the hall."
"What happened exactly?" I asked as she lead us down the hall.
"We were trying to get the kids ready to go trick or treating and when I tried to put on her costume she flipped out."
"When a child is severely abused like this it's not uncommon for them to experience some form of PTSD. My guess is that she had some kind of flashback or trigger and it set her off. She's going enough that with some therapy it might dissipate completely." I answered.
"I don't mean to pry but as I understand it, you went through something similar when you were a child?"
"Yes. It was similar."
"If I may..?"
"She's a lot younger than I was when they found me..." I trailed off.
"I was eight when the FBI raided my father's home. It wasn't because he was abusive to me, which he was, but because he spent the eight years of my life butchering women." I paused smiling at her.
"I've had the right support and I still see a therapist. Elizabeth can achieve the same."
She smiled back at me.
"May I?" I asked motioning to the closed door.
"Of course."
I knocked quietly on the door.
"Elizabeth? It's Alexia. Can I open the door?"
"Yes." A small voice came from inside.
I eased the door open and she ran to me.
"Hi, sweetie. What's the matter?" I asked kneeling down in front of her.
"Is your friend here?" She asked.
"Who? Jonny? Jonathan's here. Yes."
She looked around, searching for him.
"Jonny? Will you come here, love?" I called.
When Jonny walked up behind me Elizabeth visibly relaxed.
She smiled up at him.
"I got scared. I not feel safe." She said softly.
"Sweetie. Your Aunt Emma and Uncle David are going to help us protect you, okay?" I reassured her.
She looked over my shoulder at her Aunt and Uncle who were now standing at the end of the hallway.
"Are you sure?" She asked.
"I'm sure. Aunt Emma called me because you were upset."
She smiled and jumped up before running over to them.
"She'll be fine." I told David while Emma got her into her costume.
"Thank you so much, Director." He shook my hand.
"Alexia is fine. Either of you can call me whenever you need and I'll do my best to help. I probably have six weeks or so in my pregnancy so if at any point I'm unavailable my brother in law Cameron will be able to take your call."
"You don't mean, Cameron Black? The magician?" He asked.
"Lexa? Are you just about ready?" Jonny asked.
"You do mean the magician!" He exclaimed looking at my husband.
"Yeah. Cameron and Jonathan are magicians." I laughed.
Not long after Jonathan and I managed to leave and head home.
"I didn't think people thought of Cameron and I as magicians still." He murmured as we settled in on the couch.
"It's what everyone's always known Cameron as and when everything happened in New York you got the label too." I shrugged.
"Magician is better than exonerated felon."
"That's true." He laughed uncomfortably.
"I didn't mean anything by that." I said softly.
"I know, Lexa. I guess I'm just still not sure who I am." He looked away from me.
"You're a magician; an agent; a husband; a father to be. You're anything you want to be." I answered.
He looked back up at me with a smile.
"You always know what to say."
"That's why we're perfect for each other. You always know how to help me too."
I tilted my head up so I could kiss him.