Secrets Of The Dark Forest - Part 4

Her scream seemed to silence the forest. Her back hit the trunk of the tree and the blinking lights, now she understood were fireflies, illuminated the figure that frightened her. Her eyes widened and her heart missed a beat when she recognized the boy. "It's you..." Her voice was still trembling.

The boy approached her with his head down, the dark hood still covering his face. He came very close, causing her to hold her breath, and then he held out with dirty hands to give her... flowers? The shock and confusion couldn't be greater. "Why..." She cleans her throat. "Why are you giving me this?"

"It's..." His voice came lower than a whisper. "It's for your brother." He just said and doesn't add anything more. She takes the little red flowers from him and blinks in silence for a few seconds. "How do you know that he was sick?" She don't even notice when tears came to her eyes.

He came even closer and caressed her face, wiping away the tears. "Every night I listened to your prayers. I listened to your cry. I talked to the animals in the forest and they helped me find the right plant. The one you took was like poison." His voice was sweet and deep and seemed to bring her calm. She stretched out her arms to hold the hood that covered the boy's face. Maybe... maybe he is the scary boy that talked to animals who the villagers are talking about?

◆◆◆

Picture Art by l0hano0l on Twitter