11.4

11.4 the scarlet night and his beloved ruby dame

4 the scarlet night and his beloved ruby dame

—REWRITTEN—

"Has Hartley made contact yet?" Dad asks as we walk back in to S.T.A.R. Labs.

"What makes you so sure he will?" Cait asks.

"Because he's Hartley, and he'll want to have the last word," I answer for him.

Cisco then walks to us as Barry says, "Cisco you should be resting."

"The answer to why Hartley fooled us into catching him is in here, and I'm gonna find it," Cisco says. He then goes to his lab and starts to work. Me and Dad go over to him. Dad sits next to him in his wheelchair as I lean against the door.

"You have nothing to prove," I tell him.

"Not true."

Dad chuckles. "Do you know why I hired you, Cisco?" He asks him.

"You said you saw something in me, I know," He replies.

"What I saw was humanity. You and Hartley, Cisco, you're both brilliant. You both have mental-" He snaps. "-Sparks. But his brilliance subtracted from the experience of working here, whereas your brilliance, your heart, your warmth, your humor, it just adds to it. Also, Liv liked you the second she saw you, so I had no choice, but to hire you," Dad says making me and Cisco chuckle. I smile as he continues. "There is no chosen one, Cisco. No second or third favorite. It's just us."

Suddenly a speaker pops making a large bang. Our attention immediately turns to the bang. "What's that?" Cait asks as she and Barry stand up. I walk into the Cortex and we hear Hartley.

"Nice gambit, Harrison," We hear Hartley say. "But this isn't over."

"Hartley, what do you want? What do you want Hartley?" Dad yells. "I already gave my mea culpa today."

"The city already hated you," Hartley points out. "You don't think I noticed that press conference was a pathetic bishop sacrifice? No, no, no. I've played with you too many times to let you get away with that. This is between you, me, Liv, and The Flash."

"You don't want to play for those kinds of stakes, Hartley," Dad says.

"Actually, I really do. What do you say? One last game of chess?"

"You and I both know that the winner of the game is the one who makes the next-to-last mistake, and you clearly have a move in mind."

"You're right. And I'm already at the board, so why don't you move your precious scarlet knight and his beloved ruby dame... While I take out a few pawns."

Me and Barry then quickly get changed and then Barry asks, "All right. All right, Cisco, where do we go?"

"I can't trace the signal. He could be sending the messages from anywhere," He replies.