Chapter 20 - Dodging Gloucester

Chapter twenty

Sawyer's POV,

~

Two weeks later,

I was alone at home, sat on my bed finishing up a sketch when I heard a loud slam coming from the front door.

I ran downstairs to see my dad standing there - drunk, with a cigarette in his hand.

'Are you kidding?!' I yelled and took the cigarette from him. 'You know you're not supposed to smoke!'

'Oh, really now' he had a sarcastic tone.

Having to face my dad intoxicated is one of the things I really hate.

'Was having a heart attack and almost dying not a big enough reason for you to quit smoking?! How stubborn can you be!' I yelled without thinking what to say and what to hold back.

'I guess you get that from me then. Considering the fact that you still went sleeping around with that asshole after I specifically told you not to!'

Asshole.

He just called Nathan an asshole?

'Oh really now, Nathan's the asshole? Why don't you look in the mirror, then you'll see a real asshole! A bloody stubborn one as well. And for your information, I did not sleep around with him! I'm not a god damn slut! Unlike the girls you used to bring home almost every night' I snapped.

'Stop yelling Sawyer' he said - so tipsy that he almost fell down.

I ran up to my room, grabbed my luggage and practically everything I had and brought them down.

'It's Lea!' I yelled before storming out.

Brilliant Lea. Just brilliant.

Where are you planning to go now, huh?

Are you planning to go wherever the hell Nathan is and cry to him?

At times, I really hate myself and my brain and the more logical side of me.

I then remembered about the Travelodge Hotel. It wasn't that far away and it was a decent hotel anyway.

I've got some cash, I'm sure I'll be able to survive the night there.

Since I have no idea where Hannah is and can't just leave without her.

But it's settled, I'm leaving tomorrow. I can't live here anymore.

I've loved Gloucester ever since I was a kid and summers used to me amazing but this is by far the worst summer ever.

I caught a taxi to the hotel and settled in.

Things will get better, I'm sure.

~

'Lea!' Hannah called out as she came towards my direction.

'Hey' I said.

'Hey? Dude, I came back and saw you were gone. All your stuff, everything, gone. Then you call me at 8am saying that you've got a flight and asked if I was coming with you? Of course I'm coming but are you insane?'

Brilliant, all I need is for my best friend to judge me as we wait for our flight.

I shoved my hands into the pocket of my hoodie and didn't say anything.

'Okay, I'm sorry, that came out wrong. If this is what you wanna do then I'm on board, okay?' She hugged me.

'Thank you'

'So, don't we have a flight to catch or something?' She winked as we both checked in our luggages and got ready for the flight.

~

We were way up in the air.

As usual, I was sat beside the window cause' windows clearly are my thing.

It's crazy to think that two months ago, I was in this exact same position, waiting for another summer to look forward to.

Now. Now, well I just want it to be over.

~

'Hey, Lea!' Mum hugged me as I walked in.

'Hey mum! I missed you' I hugged her tighter.

'Aw, I missed you too honey' she smiled. 'I was expecting you to come back next week though, you know, the end of summer. Anyways, how was it?'

'Umm, the usual, shopping, hanging out at Gloucester Quays. Same old - same old' I said, clearly lying.

'Ah, how's your dad? He alright?' She asked.

I nodded.

'Oh, where's Hannah?'

'Um, she decided to head home. She had a rough night in Gloucester.' I looked around. 'Umm, so I'm just gonna get unpacked. I'll be in my room' I said as I carried my suitcase up the flight of stairs.

'Alright. Let me know if you want anything to eat' Mum said as she continued to watch "2 Broke Girls".

I plugged my phone to the charger since the battery had died once we got off the plane.

As usual, no new notifications. Not quite the popular one around here.

I decided to chill on my bed while catching up with stuff online, thru my laptop instead.

I noticed all my pictures from Gloucester coming in - since my phone (obviously) was synced into my laptop.

Oh golly.

A picture of Nathan,

Picture of Nathan looking 'macho' in his sunglasses,

Picture of Nathan asleep,

Picture of Nathan covering his eyes,

Picture of Nathan using his phone,

And a picture of Nathan and I.

It's hard to forget someone when everything constantly reminds you of them.

I miss him. And I don't hate myself for missing him.

All I want is an explanation. Or a call or even just a plain old text.

Just, anything.

But he's doing what he loves.

He's probably over the moon, overjoyed.

I do wish I had the opportunity to hear him sing - hear his vocal ability - his talent.

I set my laptop aside and got to unpacking.

A week of summer left. Just one week.