Chapter 68 - Summer Picnics

Chapter sixty eight,
Lea.

Day 322.

It was the end of May and the heat was slowly starting to come in. I could do with the heat, actually. I hadn't thought about summer at all; which took me by surprise. I suppose I've been too consumed with college and just the transition from Los Angeles to New York.

I was also confused as to where I'd be spending my summer holidays. I wasn't ready to travel all the way to Gloucester, neither was I eager on spending it back home with mum, since I'd spend most of my time on the couch with a bunch of Popsicles or cans of soda.

Perhaps I'd just stay where I am. Neither of my friends were spending summer away, anyways.

Day 362.

"Who agreed against bringing ice cream to this thing? It's fucking blazing heat out here," cried Elijah.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic, Eli! There's plenty of lemonade and orange soda," Hannah responded.

Here we were, having a picnic at Central Park, in early July. All six of us; the whole gang, on a hot sunny day. After countless nights studying and more mornings spent in numerous cafes, we opted for a change of scenery. Clearly, Elijah had no interest in the heat. I swear, we had to drag him with us.

"There's usually ice-cream stands around here, you're bound find one eventually," Ashton said, before taking a slice of pizza.

"Come on, I'll tag along. I could use some ice-cream too," I say, as I receive nasty looks from everyone else, "oh, ignore them. Thinking they're too cool for it!"

A solid ten minutes later, we were walking back to our original spot. I opted for a snow cone while Elijah got a vanilla-cone with a ridiculous amount of sprinkles on top, as expected.

From afar I spotted Ashton; smiling as he conversed with Zachary. He had a genuine smile; as if he didn't have a care in the world. Another thing I'd noticed is that no matter who you were, if you'd talk to Ashton, he'd listen to every single word intently. He was a good listener, for sure. I realized that I could go on for days about Ashton, that's how many good qualities he had possessed.

"He cares about you, " Elijah says, "More than he chooses to show,"

I look at him, before shaking my head in disbelief.

"You care about him too, it's extremely obvious. I don't see what's the problem,"

"It's just complicated, Eli"

"Then un-complicate it, Lea! Look, I know I've only known you for a short time, and I know I'm in no place to tell you what to do, but as far as I'm concerned, the only thing standing between you and your happiness is yourself," he sighs, "I understand if certain things have happened in the past, but I can assure you that those things won't happen again. He's not the same person and neither are you. He may be my best friend, but I also know that he's a fucking good person, Lea. A good person that you're completely deserving of. If you don't chase after your happiness, then who is?"

Day 379.

"Dude, your dorm's pretty damn small," Elijah retorts, while I fumble about, trying to find my phone.

"Dude, dorms aren't meant to be big," I emphasise.

"I don't understand why you haven't considered a place of your own. Sure, the prices are ridiculous, but you and Hannah could share the cost, maybe get a job first, have Momma Scott help out a little, it'll all be chill,"

"It won't be chill. First off, I'm not asking 'momma' for anything. This was meant to be me taking responsibility. Second, a job is the last thing I want. Do you seriously want to see me survive off zero hours of sleep?"

"It would be a dream to witness you being cranky and pissed, actually" he laughs, "On another note, have you given any thought to what I said last week?" He asks, making himself comfortable on Hannah's bed.

I sit on the beanbag instead, "I guess, I mean it's been on my mind a lot more than I'd like to admit,"

"Don't beat yourself up over it. You've got a past, so what? So does everyone else on this planet. You learn to move on and forget, with time that is. Push past that barrier of yours and go for it, bud," We both laugh at the mention of 'bud'

He continues, "I mean, if you're worried about my feelings, I'll be fine. If you hadn't blown me off, I wouldn't have met Gabriella now, would I? Sure, I'm a hard one to move on from, but I'll be good, Sawyer,"

I throw the pillow behind me, right at his face, "of course you'd make this about yourself! Goddamned diva,"

---

a/n; i think the next chapter's the last before the epilogue cause i'm kinda done with the fillers. shucks.

holy moly i got so emotional earlier after watching the boys' covers and their medleys (god the killers one though) i ended up getting sad and crying like a pathetic baby but aw how i miss them. and i miss them bullying nath.

anyways, life goes on and i still love their little butts eternally.

enjoy this chapter, thanks for 38k, goodnight :))

x.s