Chapter 3

I just have to give them an excuse that I'm getting paid on Friday so because I thought the meeting would be on Saturday, I had already planned that I would pay them on Saturday and their meeting-date changes was a last-minute thing. Believable right? I hope they buy it. It does not even make sense to me, the person who will tell the lie.

Later on, the kids walk in and I tell them the whole idea I got. Lesedi never really supports me when I want to lie. He thinks these people should accept me for who I am and I should stop hiding the real situation at home.

"After all, it is a reality and we have to face it, lying about it makes matters worse," are the words he normally uses.
He's a kid, what does he know? This "nice-nice" attitude has to be from his grandfather because my mom was the exact opposite. I used to be a good girl, but I was never nice. 

I have no other plan and I can't be the town's new scandal. Never! I need a good reputation. My life is whack but they don't have to know that and if Helen finds out first, I am in trouble. I can't risk it.

So Thursday morning arrives and the kids go to school while I prepare to go to my meeting. Seems like every one of these meetings never go well because I owe them but I promised myself I will pay them in our next meeting which is next week Saturday but I must make them believe my story first. I have no problem with the other women. The problem is Helen; she's like a human lie detector.

So, I head to the meeting. The meeting goes well until the treasurer says she has something to say. Oh God! I was hoping this moment wouldn't come. There is absolutely no way of avoiding this woman.

"Mmampho, do you have the money?" I expected this question.

"No, I don't have the money today."

"Why Mmampho?" She asks.

"Because, you told me you are changing the dates of the meeting at the eleventh hour, I had only planned to pay by Saturday and I'm only getting money tomorrow so I'll pay in our next meeting Helen." I lie to her. 

That lie seemed so true, I didn't even stammer when I said those words. I'm getting very good at this, hey. Why am I proud of that? Gosh!

"Mmampho, we have had enough of your empty promises, we must kick you out of the support group, you are not doing any support in this group. You just keep lying to us."

Kick me out? Is she for real? Can she do that? But why would she? Oh yeah, I know that one, because she's Helen.

"Have you gone mute now? You suddenly can't speak?" Is that some sort of punchline because this woman does not know me.

"I..." As I was about to speak, a woman walks in and greets everybody.
Apparently she is Helen's friend. They are not close friends but they know each other from a long time ago.

"I'm Thembi and I want to join the support group if that's okay with you. I have the admission fee and you'll tell me if there's any other payments that I have to do," Everybody welcomes her and Helen gives me the look that someone new is already ahead of me with payments. I couldn't care less.

"You can join Thembi,  I don't think it would be a problem since we are kicking someone out." She says.

"Who are you kicking out and why?" Thembi asks Helen.  I look at Helen as if I am the one who is waiting for a response. She looks at me, from head to toes then back up again.

"Her." She points at me. Every other woman in the meeting is listening to this, even the chairperson is not saying anything.

"She is behind with payment and she keeps making empty promises that she will pay and she doesn't." All the other woman nod. I roll my eyes.