Chapter 20

I am awaken by the smell of delicious food and coffee. Next to me is a white plate with bacon and an omelette with the coffee besides it in a mug written "good morning." Breakfast in bed? Oof! Fancy! Plus I love bacon, how does he know this though?

"Morning beautiful." He walks in as I'm day dreaming about how my day is starting out perfectly.

"Morning to you too." I reply and sit up straight.

"I thought I could spoil the birthday girl a little. Happy birthday Mmampho." He says as he takes a sit next to me.

"B-B-what?" I stammer. Not that I'm not happy that he is spoiling me but how did he know? Something's really fishy. I take a bite on the bacon as I wait for an explanation.

"Isn't it your birthday?" He asks me.

"It is my birthday but how did you know?" I ask him.

"The question asked should be, why didn't you let me know? I would have planned something better than this for you." He says.

"It's fine Chris. I didn't want anything big. I appreciate all this. So wait, you planned this whole thing of me getting drunk and coming here?" Honestly, if that's the case, it makes perfect sense.

"No but I was going to pick you up today again as a surprise." He says.

"I prefer this. How did you know though?" I can't stop asking this question.

"Naledi called me a week ago to tell me that you are turning thirty two today." He says.

What?!
So that's why she had my cellphone. She is sneaky but she did something so special for me. This was very nice of her.

"Oh my word! How could she?"  I place my right hand on my chest.
My birthday might just be great after all.

"After you eat, Mavis will come in here and take your plate, make your bed and you can go shower. I will give you a new toothbrush and wash cloth and if you need anything else, ask Mavis. I have to run some errands." He tells me.

He is such a gentleman. What did I do to deserve such. Miracles do happen on birthdays. I am enjoying my birthday for the first time in a long time.

"Who's Mavis?" I ask.

"The maid." He says.

Maid? This is my dream life. I am just so happy today.

"What?" He asks.

"This is the best birthday I have ever had. Thank you so much Chris." A tear falls out. I am emotional hey. I don't like crying in front of people so I immediately stand up and make my way to the shower.

I come back a minute later because I got lost in this mansion.

"Where is shower?" I ask him.

He laughs at me while directing me. Gosh this house is huge. It has a lot of rooms and it is a double storey house. It has glossy white floor tiles. It is not just big, it is beautiful as well. I would love to stay in this house some day. Not this house, but something like this. My own house. Dreams that will never come true.

The water in the shower is very warm and relaxing. I am way too happy, I can't stop smiling. This room is also big. How much does this guy earn?

Wait, I don't have any clothes to change into. What am I going to do?

I get out of the shower and wrap myself in the white towel that Mavis gave me. I walk back to the room that I slept in last night. Mavis is a really nice woman, I am wondering how much Chris pays her to work in such a big house.