Chapter 55

Mmampho's POV

Why would Lesedi react that way? I thought by now he would have warmed up to his father, or forgiven him. I had a feeling he would be against our relationship  but I did not think that he had the guts to call his father a monster right in front of him. That was really disrespectful and if it was under different circumstances, I would have scolded him for it.
His behavior was absurd. His eyes were red too, which is a weird because I did not see him crying. Ugh! He probably cried before I walked into the room.

"As for you mom, I am disappointed in you, how can you date this monster again?" His words echo over and over in my mind.
He wasn't lying, I could see it in his eyes, as red as they were. He was acting tough but the whole thing hurt him. He probably feels like I do not care about him or how he feels.

Oh well, I do care about how he feels but then again I love Thabo and I have to forgive him. Love conquers all after all. We will work through this, I will try harder to fix the relationship between the two. Thabo should also try harder, it sucks being caught up in the middle.

"Mommy." Naledi calls on me as she walks into my room.

I am packing to move into his father's room. I know the situation is quite bad for that but I had promised Thabo that I would move in with him today. This will obviously infuriate Lesedi.

Am I being dismissive though?

"Mommy, where are you going?" Naledi asks me as she walks through my bedroom door.

"Nowhere. How was school?"

"It was fine, and tiring. Thanks. I know you are not telling the truth mom."

"You caught me."
I sit down and pat the space next to me for her to sit down. I want to talk to her about this. Hopefully she will handle it better than Lesedi did. She has to. I cannot have both of them turn against me.

"I am too tired to talk momma."

"Just sit."

"So how would you feel if your father and I got back together?"

"Oh my God! I would be thrilled. Please tell me you guys are back together, please, please! Are you?"

"Hush!"

Her excitement changed my mood. I feel better now. Just a little. I cannot stop thinking about how Lesedi kicked me out of his room but Naledi just cheered me up a little.
She tingled from her head to her toes. She has the facial expression of a kid who just got a ridiculously large Christmas gift.

"Yes, we got back together a few days ago. I am so glad that it makes you happy."

"More than happy, we can be a happy family now."

There is no pretense behind her grin. She is being real, it does make her happy. It's like she has been waiting for this to happen for a while.

"It was about time." She says exactly what I anticipated.

"I am glad you are taking it well."

"Who would not? This is such good news. Finally, there can be less tension in the house." Her enthusiasm makes me purse my lips.

I face down and shake my head.

"It's Lesedi isn't it?"

I let out a huge sigh and shake my head once more, a shake of disappointment.

"Oh my God! What's wrong with your child mother? Why can't he be happy for you? Lesedi is so dramatic and acting like a little girl, even I am acting more mature than him right now. I have no idea why he is acting up. You know what, he cannot keep stressing you like this. I am going to talk to him." She is already up, making energetic gestures as she speaks and I stopped her just before she got to the door.

"No, Naledi. Leave your brother alone."

"Ma! He is stressing you and it isn't right."

"Leave him. He will come around, let's just be patient with him." I tell her.

"Do you really believe that mom? He is not willing to give dad a chance, he is not willing to let everything go. It's annoying. He is being juvenile about this whole thing. Like come on, it was ten years ago. Ugh!"

"Naledi, sit down. Lesedi locked the room anyway, just tell me about your day at school instead."

"So we are just going to let Lesedi be another Helen in your life?"

I chuckle, I never expected that at all. I have not heard that name in a while. I had even forgotten about her. The last time I saw her, Chris paid off my debt with them. I do not understand why he would pay everything off and spend so much money on me if he did not love me. I guess if you are rich, that means nothing. It is just normal. Again, thoughts trailed off to Chris. Ugh! This just keeps happening and I hate it.

"Why would you bring her up?" I start laughing.

"I am being honest though. Helen was a hater and blocked every good thing that came into your life, at the moment, that is what Lesedi is doing mom."

Lesedi is not blocking every good thing in my life, and unlike Helen, he is not doing this deliberately. At least he is being honest with me, instead of pretending like he likes the relationship when he is not. I like his honesty.

"This is the only thing he blocked and only because he feels like it is not a good thing and because he thinks your father will hurt me again."

"Of which dad will not. Actually, that should be the least of his worries. He should be the child in this house, you guys are adults, you do not need his permission to do anything."

Now that is my daughter. Even though she is not considering her brother's feelings, she is not even trying to.

"Naledi just go and study." I am laughing at her, she never ceases to surprise me.

"I am bonding with you, I am the only child that understands you."

"You sure are." I laugh at her, I do not mean it that way though. I am just flowing with the conversation.

As I raise my head, I notice Lesedi stepping away from the door. I did not notice him standing there. He runs to his room and shuts it again.

Perfect timing Lesedi! Perfect timing! I wonder how long he has been standing there.