Chapter 16

It is Sunday morning already. What time did I even fall asleep?
I really had a wonderful time with Chris yesterday. It was great, honestly.

I am surprised that the members of the women support group have not confronted me about the lying and everything. Did Helen and Thembi keep everything to themselves? Very unlike Helen.

"Mom." I did not notice they were not inside the room until Naledi called me.

"Yes, dear?"

"I forgot to tell you last night when you got here..."she is starting to scare me. What could it be? What happened? I cannot help it but be super curious like she is not about to tell me. Silence takes over for a few moments. It is like she does not know how to tell me. It better not be as serious as I think it is.
"Naledi!" I call on her.

"Oh sorry. Helen was here yesterday, about two hours after you left."

Why couldn't I take a guess? This woman will never back off huh?

"What did she want and what did she say?" I ask.

"She did not say anything. She just said she wants to have a chat with you." Naledi tells me.

I am not interested in whatever that woman has to say to me. She is as good as dead to me. What chat? We are not friends.

Anyway, I just stand up and turn on the kettle so that I can bath. I have no plans today.

While I am picking my outfit, Lesedi comes into the room and sits on the bed. I turn to look at him, he looks suspicious. I choose to ignore that and turn back to the bag that has all my clothes to continue what I was doing.

"Hey mommy."

"What do you want Lesedi?"

I just have to ask. It's like he wants something. Isn't it what all children do when they want something; try to be so nice and all to make the mom happy for a while and agree to whatever they are going to ask for. Or does that just happen in movies too?

"Nothing. What makes you think I want anything?"

Real smart Lesedi, acting all "surprised," I give him that "duuh" look.

"Okay, okay. I just want to talk." He says.

"No, you cannot have a girlfriend Lesedi." I say.

It has got to be a girl. Why else would he be so nice and wanting to talk to me. I have no problem whatsoever when he wants to talk to me about something, but he never acts so shy. Which is why I am assuming that it's a girl. He is fourteen after all, kids these days just rush their childhood huh? If he dates, what am I supposed to do? Do homework, play with soil, and study?

"What, why are you suddenly assuming things today. Can you just hear me out and stop jumping to conclusions." He says.
Then what is it if it is not a girl?

"Yeah, I am listening."

I do not have time for serious talks right now. I need to relax, these past few days have been rough on me. Actually, as rich people say, I need a vacation. Not just rich people but people who have better lives and can actually afford it. All by myself, no thoughts, no Helens, just me, relaxed, there on the beach in a bikini with a straw hat. I softly laugh at the idea of me in a bikini, or let alone at a beach. I have never been to a beach before, I would love to see the ocean one day.

"Mom, did you hear what I asked?" I have been caught up in my thoughts that I did not hear what Lesedi had to say. Not that I am interested, but he is my son and besides providing for them, I have to be a good listener.