Chapter 31

The kids have been settling well at school. They love it. They have made tons of friends. Lesedi says it was not hard for him to adjust to the people around him. Naledi has always been talkative so I am not surprised at all.

My children are finally living a normal life, that life of them randomly finding a R10 besides the road and running home excitedly because we would be able to buy bread is over. That life of them complaining about how hot the shack is, the life of misfortune that we had is finally over. I finally got to the end of my tunnel. I have seen the light that comes with serenity. I got used to being sad that I forgot how good happiness felt. I got used to the pain. It was all a part of me. I had forgotten how it felt to not  worry too much and how it felt to have no problems of any sort. Chris makes me feel like nothing will ever go wrong again in my life.

My children keep telling me about the diversity in their school. They keep telling me how things are different. They thank Chris almost everyday for enrolling them at that school. Seeing their smiles warms my heart, it makes me feel like I have done a good job as a mother.

Mavis and I have been forming some type of friendship. When Chris and the kids are not in the house, I am left alone with her. She has been teaching me her special recipes, telling me what Chris likes and all of that. I learn a new thing from her every single day.

She may be seven years older than me but I feel as if she gets me. She says I am nicer than Angela and that Angela used to boss her around as if she was her boss. This short woman is hilarious. We normally bake, cook, water the garden or talk about Chris. What touched me is when she told me that ever since I came into Chris' life, he seems at peace and happy.
That goes for me too though.

Mavis told me about her three children that live with their grandmother in the Eastern Cape. She never mentioned any man being a part of her life and I am afraid to ask. How the heck do you ask a person older than you questions like, "so, where's their father?" I feel like the conversation would trail off to awkwardness if I went down that topic, especially if she did not lead me to it. If things get awkward between us, who's going to cheer me up during the day? Who's going to tell me the funny stories like how Angela once fell down the stairs because she was so furious with Chris. I would have loved to see that. Mavis has sure seen a lot in this house.

...

I have been living with Chris for three months now and I love every single thing about it. I feel like a princess with Chris besides me as my prince and Mavis as our servant. I can make orders and they will be obeyed anytime. It feels so good.

Except, I am a different kind of princess. I am the kind of princess that does not curtsy, I do not lift my pinky when I drink coffee or tea, I do not host balls, I do not wear gowns or a tiara, I do not fancy dazzling jewelry or have a royal wave. The only accessory I own is this silver necklace that Chris got for my birthday. I do not have a wicked step mother and two evil step sisters, and I definitely have never kissed a frog that magically turned into a prince. When I met my prince, he was already handsome and hundred percent human.

I am the kind of princess that rocks R89 tekkies and still look great. The princess that wears jeans and pumps and I still feel like royalty.

It feels good to finally steer the wheel of my life, to feel in charge of my life. My smile is finally genuine.

My human prince walks in holding a black archaic briefcase. He unfastens his black tie that I fastened in the morning and it lies loose around his neck. He looks exhausted, like he needs a full body massage. That is where I come in right?

He places his briefcase on the table and takes a sit next to me. For a person as rich as him, I never thought he would be going to work with such an archaic briefcase. Isn't everything of his supposed to be classy and modern? I guess not. This old thing that lies on the table does not suit his image at all but I am afraid to say anything, I would not want to offend him.

Why does he look so tired? Does signing papers and making deals all day tire this much? I thought it's the easiest job in the whole wide world. What else is there to his job?

"How was your day?" He asks me.

"It was good, yours?" I ask.

"Tiring. I lost a client today." He sighs and hits his palm against his forehead.

"Ah! I'm sorry babe. How?" I act concerned.
Well I am concerned that he lost a client, but I am not interested in any business stuff, I never saw myself owning a company. I always wanted to be a doctor, I always wanted to work with people and I was passionate with science. I still remember everything I learnt, I enjoyed the subject. You would never have an argument with me about science. I remember the periodic table, the chemistry part was my favorite. I was the teacher's pet in that class, before I got to drop out. Lesedi takes after me, he likes Natural Sciences. He passed the subject with eighty seven percent last term. 

"The reasons were personal when I asked. The client dislikes one of my employees." He says and asks for water from Mavis, our servant. My prince looks emotionally drained, like he just lost hundreds of thousands. He looks discouraged. Aren't we supposed to keep our personal issues from the corporate world?

I have never dealt with such issues. I have never learnt how to. I have always been the one who needed pity and empathy. The one who needed words of encouragement. I've never been in a situation where I had to do the same for another individual. As I stand up, he lets out a big sigh again. I turn to glare at him with concern. I have never seen him like this. I do not know how to deal with such, I have never been on this side of the therapist's chair, on the chair.

"Mavis I do not know what to do. I have never dealt with such before. The last proper relationship I had was when I was a teenager. I do not know all these romance stuff. Chris looks like he needs a person who's more romantic right now." I said those words so fast that I am not even sure if Mavis heard me, a sigh followed.

She gives me the glass of water that she poured for Chris.

"Thank you." I breathe rapidly and take another sip.

"Calm down Mmampho."

"But how..."

"All Chris needs right now is a good listener, not a girl who's experienced in love and romance. Losing a client means losing money and having a bad company name sometimes, no good ratings whatsoever and people will think it is all his fault and wouldn't want to sign more deals with him. Well, chances are there that things will not be that bad. But relationships aren't who is more romantic or whatever you're thinking it is, communicate well and be a good listener and he will appreciate that." She tells me and I thank her. Now this is what I call a friend.
She pours another glass of water for Chris and I offer to take it to him.

"And oh Mmampho," She calls.

"Yea?"

"Run him a hot bath, he'd love that." She says and winks at me.

"Thanks." I giggle and continue walking.

"Mmampho!" She calls again.

"Yea Mavis?"

"It must be hot and bubbly okay, everything needed is in his bathroom okay?" She gives me another tip.

"Thanks Mavis." I continue walking again.

"And Mmampho," she calls the third time and I am wondering why she doesn't say all she needs to say at once.

"Mavis!" There is a harsh tone in my voice, but a grin follows to avoid being offensive.

"Ah nothing, I just wanted to annoy you. Turns out, it worked." She laughs at me.

"You are lucky my man needs me right now." I laugh with her and go back to the lounge.