Chapter 3

After the little episode at the store, Ava felt so angry somehow and she needs to let it out. She put away all the stuff she bought, set up Ella spot and got change into so workout clothes. She was going to the gym, she also took out the boxing gloves that she hasn't used for a while. 

Ava drove to the gym and ready to sweat it out. She punches the punching bag as hard as she can. Letting out all the emotion that was in her. Ava was out of breath very fast, faster than usual. 

'I need to work my cardio back.' Ava said to herself think that it just because she hasn't done boxing for a while. 

She removed her gloves, used a towel to wipe away the sweat and drank the water from the water bottle she brought with her. 

'Ava?' A girl with blonde hair called her name. 

'Kat?' Ava recognised the girl. Kat was her friend in the hospital she did her residency in Cape Town. 

'What are you doing here.' Kat hugged her. 

'I move here because of work.' Ava hugged her back. 'I am a CT attending in Chicago med.'

'Anyway, nice to see you.' Kat said. They were each other person before Ava moved to Chicago. Ava focused on cardiothoracic and Kat focused was on fetal surgery. 

'So, what are you doing here?' Ava asked. 

'I am here to work too.' Kat said and looked at Ava with a cheeky smile.

'Chicago med?' Ava said and started packing her stuff. 

'That's my girl!' Kat looked at her and they started walking to the locker room together. 

'When do you start?' Ava questioned. 

'Tomorrow.' Kat answered. '10 am.'

'My shift starts tomorrow at 8 in the morning.' Ava said. 'Meet me at lunch?' 

'Sure, I can't wait to catch up with you.' Kat swang Ava's arm like a kid. 'I will buy you lunch?' 

'I have nothing better to do anyway. Fine, but I am buying tomorrow.' Ava looked at her. 

They went out for lunch and catches up with each other. However, Kat spotted something strange. Ava ordered a salad and she was eating everything in it. 

'A, I thought you don't like the tomatoes?' Kat asked. 

'I didn't even realise.' Ava said while she stabbed a piece of cucumber with the folk. She didn't think deeply about it. 

'So, any boy? Love story?' Kat looked at her with one eyebrow rose. 

'No.' Ava froze a little, then kept stirring her salad with her folk. She doesn't want to talk about it, not at all. 

Kat still has something she needs to unpack, so they split up and went home. 

Ava's apartment

'Meow.'

Ava heard Ella the minute she walked in the door. 

'Hey, Ella.' Ava put down her key. 

She walked and collapsed on the couch, put her feet on the tea table and closed her eyes. Ava fell asleep without realising it until Ella jumped up onto her chest. 

Ava slowly opened her eyes. It was night time and pitch black outside. She stood up and walked towards the kitchen. Before she can make it to the kitchen, a loud 'bang' came from outside of her apartment. 

'Help! Help!' Panicking voices came from the neighbours. 

Ava went out and checked on the girl that got shot. 

'She is bleeding very bad. Call 911.' Ava said seriously. 'Give me some towel.' 

'Here.' Another girl who may be the victim roommate ran into the house and handed her some towel.

'What happened?' Ava asked. 

'A guy came in and shot her, then he left.' The lady still scared. 

The ambulance arrived and Ava followed them to the hospital. The girl who got shot hold onto Ava's hand tightly. 

'Save me, please.' She looked at Ava. 

'What's your name.' Ava warped her hand with hers. 

'Oli... Olivia.' She answered. 

'Olivia, breath.' Ava put one of her hand on Olivia's forehead. 

The ambulance is on the way to Chicago med... 

Chicago med

The ED was busy, Maggie got a call about the shooting happened in Ava's apartment building. 

'Dr Rhodes, there is a gunshot in the abdomen case coming in from xxxx building. Female, about 25 years old.' Maggie said to Connor, who is on trauma rotation today.

'Wait, isn't that where Dr Bekker lives?' Connor said with worried in her eyes.   

'Oh my god.' Maggie looked at him. 'The paramedic said she has blonde hair and lives on the 7th floor.' 

'That's Ava's floor.' Connor is completely panicking now. 

Not for long the ambulance arrived. The glass door opened and the victim was wheeled in. 

'Female victim, around 25 years old, gunshot wound on the abdomen. She is still lucid but barely.' The paramedic said as he put her in.

'Bagdad.' Maggie took a closer look. 'It's not Ava.' 

At the same time, Connor was right in front of the ambulance. Ava jumped down the ambo and followed Olivia without even looking at Connor. He stood there for a second and followed her in to. 

When Olivia was in the treatment room, Ava started working on her. 

'Start the blood transfusion, and give me some more pads.' Ava commanded. 

Connor ran into the room. 

'Ava, let me work.' Connor said to her. 

'I was with her all the way.' Ava said without looking at him.

'I am the trauma surgeon, this is my floor.' Connor said calmly. 'We had an agreement.' 

Ava stopped and took a deep breath. 'Fine, but I want the update.' She stormed out of the room.

'Sure.' Connor took over as Ava walked out.