Chapter 11

'For what?' Ava still cutting the vegetables. 

'Innovative heart surgeons something, something...' Kat read out the title. 

'Who are the other nominees?' Ava looked up to her.

'It didn't say.' Kat kept reading it. 'But it did say where the event takes place.' 

'Where?' 

'Chicago.' Kat replied.

'I am not going.' Ava movements froze for a second. Now there are two things in her head.

Chicago, a place that she had been avoiding. For the past three years, she was required to do something back in Chicago because of work, such as getting or delivering a heart for transplant,  but she always gets away from being a new mother and used Natasha as an excuse. Also, in her head, the morning that she refused to go to the gala with Connor. 

'You know that there is a great chance that you may not run into him.' As her best friend, Kat knew what is bothering her. 

Ava didn't say anything. 

Next day

Ava arrived at the hospital with Natasha. She dropped her at daycare where she saw Teddy who was dropping Allison off at the same time. 

'Ava, you know what I am going to say.' Teddy started the conversation first while they are on their way to the CT floor.

'Teddy, I...' Ava signed. 'I don't know.' 

'Ava please, you need to go.' Teddy said, almost sound like she was begging 'Not only for yourself, but also for the hospital'. 

Ava thought to herself, the only reason that she is afraid to Connor because of Natasha, but if she goes by herself, even she sees him, she can just hide and ignore him. 

'I will go.' After making up her mind, she felt released.

Everyone get back on to their own work and days just went past as normal. 

However, just two days before her trip starts, Natasha had a cold. And Ava knew that she will be killing herself not being with her for at least a week.  'The event only go for one evening and it is going to be in a hotel, she just needs to put Natasha with Kat for one night. So she decided to bring Natasha with her. 

Chicago

Connor finished his shift and went home. He sat on the couch and a million things flew through his mind. 

First, he was glad that he finally found her. She is in Seattle. This led him thinking that how many time they might actually work together without both of them knowing. He didn't notice before, but soon he realised that some of the surgeries have her work on it and more that he thinks about it, more that he was sure about it. 

He turned on his computer and looked for the surgeries that he thought of. Most of them were a transplant heart, but most of them were from Seattle. He sat back and laughed quietly. She had been right under his noses and he didn't know anything about it. 

Second, the award. Is she going to attend? He can't wait to actually see her. But how is she going to react? Connor knew to himself that he hurt her badly. He put his elbows on the desk and buried his head in his hands. 

Last, Goodwin told him today the Chicago Med and Grey Solan may become partners. Is that means that he is going to her more, or she will run away again? 

2 minutes later, he lifted his head up. It was like he had made up his mind and the truth was he did. 

Ava Bekker, I won't let you go this time. I believe that we will be together forever and always. 

Airport

6:00 in the morning, Ava arrived at the Seattle airport. With her, there were Teddy and Natasha. They got their boarding pass and went through the security check, and now they are waiting to get on the plane. 

'Mommy, where are we going?' Natasha asked.

'We are going to Chicago.' Ava answered as she tied up the zipper on Natasha jacket. 

Natasha was wearing a little pink jacket because of her cold. Ava was wearing a matching one as well. 

'Is there where auntie Kat live?' Natasha reached for Ava.

'Yeah, smart girl.' Ava held her up onto her lap.

Ava cuddled her and put her face on Natasha's forehead to see if she still has a fever. This was also the reason that Ava took her, she couldn't leave Natasha with other people while she is sick. Luckily, Natasha's fever went down the day before. Although Natasha was still weak and sort of sick, it didn't stop her being cheeky and happy. Teddy was sitting next to them can always hear them giggling about something silly. 

'May I have your attention please, all passengers travelling by American Airlines flight xxx Seattle to Chicago are requested to board the flight through gate no.7, thank you! Attention...'

'That's us.' Teddy said.

They gathered all their stuff and ready to board the flight. their flight was at 7. Three different people carrying three different moods. 

Ava, she was scared to be back in Chicago. The place that gave her a feeling of belonging but it also hurt her deeply. To the award, she was nervous and afraid to see the person that she had been trying to avoid. 

Natasha, she was excited to see another new city. Ava took her to a few different places before, New York, Boston etc. However, she was more excited about what Kat had told her. Her dad is in Chicago. She wanted to meet and get to know him so much. Every time she saw Allison having fun and playing around with Owen she feels lonely and wondering why her father is not around. However, this is the question that only Ava can answer.

On the other hand, there is Teddy. She is curious, Connor, the award and what actually happened to Ava that hurt her so deep. She also have something that she had not inform Ava, which is Grey Solan and Chicago med may become connect, so they may have to transfer staffs.