Chapter 8

A week after Ava left, Connor finally realised something is wrong. He thought Ava was only taking sick leave until he heard the nurses talking. 

'What do you meant she left?' Connor asked one of the nurses. 

'They said Dr Bekker transferred to the other hospital outside of Chicago.' One of the nurses said. 'She seems a bit off for the past few weeks though.' 

'What are you saying?' Connor asked. 

'She is constantly tired, and I saw her throwing up in the bathroom a few times.' She said.

'Did she said anything?' 

'Not really, but remember that time that she was in surgery with you and she ran out. It wasn't the first time.' 

Connor immediately went to see Goodwin. If Ava leaves, Goodwin must-knows. 

'Dr Rhodes, Dr Bekker specifically asked me not to tell anyone about her current status.' 

'Ms Goodwin, please' He begged. 

'Sorry, I can't. But I can tell you who you can talk to, Dr Kat Giselle.' She gave him a tip. 'Apparently they are best friends since they were interns.'

'Thank you.' 

After visiting Goodwin, Connor checked the staff profile and search for Kat. 

'Dr Kat Giselle, from South Africa. Neonatal surgeon.' He found out that she was Ava best friend and classmate. 

He went up to the OB floor and tracked down Kat. 

Kat was looking at some patient chart when Connor came to her. 

'Dr Rhodes? I don't remember calling for a CT consult?' She said. 

'Dr Giselle. I not here to consult. I am here for Ava.' He explained. 

'Dr Bekker?' She wasn't surprised, but at the same time, she was. 'What for?' 

'She left, do you have any chance that knows where she has gone?' 

'Sorry, I don't.' Ava told her not to tell anybody about her. 'Even I know, I wouldn't tell you.' 

'I see, Ava told you about us.' 

'Yes, and if you excuse me, I have a patient to see.' She walked away. 

A voice in Connor's head that was telling him Kat knows something. Carrying the thought and frustration, he went back down to the ED. 

Maggie was standing in the nurse station, and when Connor arrived, she talked to him. 

'I heard Ava left.' She said.

'I know, and no one is telling me what happened or where did she go.' 

'Wait, I may be able to help.' She looked up from the computer. 'Remember the shooting that happened in her building?' 

'Yeah. Her neighbour was fine.' He said. 'I wanted to talk to her and she refused, so I left.' 

'Yeah, but after you left, I think was about 2 hours, she passed out in the ED.' 

'WHAT?' 

'I think Dr Giselle admitted her.' 

'Do you think you can track down a record or something?'

 'If she had any tests done, it should be in the record.' Maggie started searching on the computer. 'There, her chart.' 

Maggie was going to click into it but someone called her name. 

'I need to go, are you good?' 

'Yeah, I will check it myself.' Connor replied. 

After Maggie left, Connor clicked into the file and started reading her chart. He saw that she got a blood test done. 

'Normal, normal, normal... pregnancy test, posivtive...' 

It was like a lightning strike him, Ava was pregnant, that explained everything, the throwing up, the tea, and the no alcohol. So she knew and she didn't want to tell him. He also saw the doctor that signed the chart, Dr Giselle. Connor ran back up to the ED and confronted her. 

'So you knew.' Connor found Kat in the office. 

'Know what?' Kat asked as she rose her head up from the computer screen. 

'Her pregnancy!' Connor said. 'And so did she.' 

'Dr Rhodes, she was my patient, doctor and patient ...'

'I know that.' Connor cornered her to the wall. 'Please!'

'What do you want to know.' Kat signed. She felt that Connor was not a bad person and she knew by the reaction of both of them, they were madly in love with each other. 

'Everything.' 

'The first time we found out, she was about two months or so.' Kat said slowly. 'But that's all I know.' She hid the part that how certain Ava was about the father and where she went. 

'It's mine...' After hearing what Kat said, those were the only words that came out of Connor. 

'She told me it's not. She also scheduled the termination of the pregnancy but not in this hospital.' Kat said. 'And I really don't know where she went.' 

'Thank you and sorry.' Connor left. 

'Wait!' Kat stopped him. She opened her drawer and handed Connor a picture. 'I think you may want this.' 

Connor received the picture and it was Ava's ultrasound pic from the day that she found out. He didn't say anything and left the room. 

Kat shook her head. Part of her wanted them to get back together because she can feel that they are perfect of each other, it is also the best for the baby. However, as a friend of Ava, she knew how badly he hurts her heart. 

Connor went back down to the doctor lounge in the ED, staring at the picture and ran his finger on the little shadow, the baby, their baby. Deep down, he knew that that is his baby even that Ava denied, and Ava would never want him to be with her anymore... He kept the picture in his locker and went back to work. 

They were in love, they both thought they will have a future together, they both have their pride. What will happen in the future? They don't know... 

----—--------------------------------
Just a little disclaimer and head up!
For the next chapter there will be a time jump!
And this story I based on the TV show chicago med but there will be some changes. I will be merging different show in this fanfic. Which means that this fanfic is not related to the current show. I only used and developed from the characters.
Also, there will be some medical scenes in the coming chapters. I would like to say that I am not a medical expert or study any medical related stuffs. I write it base on the medical shows I had watched. If there is anything problems or mistakes, please don't come for me.
Hope you enjoy my work, thank you!