Chapter 2

The patients haven't arrived yet when Connor walked into the ED. Connor entered the doctor lounge and he saw Natalie was in there too. 

'Connor?' Natalie was not expecting him to come in. 

'Hi, Nat. What with the surprised face?' Connor was confused because Natalie looked surprised. 

'Nothing, it just... I thought you will come in with Ava earlier. But she left and...' Natalie couldn't figure out the whole situation. 

'Wait, she left?' Connor asked. 'Why is she left?' 

'She was sick I guess, earlier...' Natalie told him what happen. 'I thought you knew.' 

'No, I don't' Connor said, then he added. 'We are not a thing anymore.' 

'Oh, I am so sorry, Connor.' Natalie said. 

Just before Connor can reply, the patients came in and they started working. 

The end of the day

Everyone was exhausted, they saved as many people as they can. Connor finished another surgery and resting in the doctor lounge when Will came in. 

'Hey man! tired?' Will asked. 

'Yeah, I think everyone is.' Connor answered with his eyes closed. 

'I heard that you guys were short of surgeons? Where is Ava?' Will took a bottle of water out of the fridge and started drinking. 

'Nat said she was sick, I don't know.' Connor sighed as he opened his eyes.

'Shouldn't you be with her...' Will said.

'No, she doesn't want anything to do with me, she said she is done.' Connor's voice had no emotions.

'Sorry man.' Will padded him on the shoulder. 

Connor nodded his head but didn't say anything. 

Later that day

Connor arrived home and threw himself on the couch. He looked around and all he can see was the things that Ava left behind. The painting that they picked together, the plant that she gave him and her mug that was left on the dinner table. Connor shook his head, tried to get these out of his mind but it didn't work. He decided to go shower and wash it off. 

He entered the bedroom and it reminds him even more. The king size bed that they love and contains a lot of good memories. Connor opened the drawer and he realised that some of Ava clothes are still in it. The little black dress that he loves to see her in it. 

Connor ran to the bathroom before he thinks he is going to lose it. However, he was wrong again. Ava's toothbrush, towel and the matching cups. Because of all these, Connor fell into complete silence. 

On the other hand,  Ava felt much better after sleep. There was no way she can see patients in the morning. She made herself some chicken soup and sat down on the couch.

Just before she finished, there was a voice came from the balcony. She walked towards the balcony door and opened the curtains. 

It was a cat. An orange cat. It was shaking because of the chilling wind. 

'Oh, you poor thing.' Ava picked up the cat and brought in the apartment. 

She put the cat down on the couch and got some warm water in a bowl for it. She also checked the cat for like a collar or something, but she didn't find anything. Ava decided to keep it because the cat reminded her of the family cat back home, Ellie.

'So, you are a girl...' Ava checked the cat. 'What should I call you? What about Ella?'

The cat, no, Ella rubbed her head against Ava's arm.

'I think you like it.' She said. 'Hi, Ella, welcome to the family.' 

Next day 

It was actually Ava's day off. She decided to go to the shop and get some cat stuff for Ella. She arrived at the store and put the thing that she needs into her shopping trolley. When she was taking her time to enjoy her day off. Outside the shop, there is a fancy sports car approaching, if Ava is here, she will recognise it is Connors.  

Connor parked the car and walked into the shop. And he entered an aisle that next to where Ava is. Both of them were unaware that they were so close to each other. Just before Connor entered the aisle that Ava was in, Ava turned into the next one already. 

'Help! Help!' An old lady yelled with an old man laying on the floor in front of her. 'He is not feeling good!'

Ava dropped everything and ran to the old couple, so did Connor. 

'I am a doctor.' 'I am a doctor.' Said both Connor and Ava. 

They look at each other and decided to help the old man first. Connor called the ambulance while Ava checked on the old man. Ava finished the basic examination when Connor finished calling. 

'Connor, he is having a heart attack.' Ava said and trying the adjust the position of the man. 

'The ambulance is coming.' Connor put away his phone and helped Ava make the man comfortable. 'Madam, do you know that he has his med with him?' 

'Yes, here.' The old lady took the med out of her bag and handed to them. 

Ava and Connor reached for the container at the same time. They both froze, then Ava grabbed the med and gave it to the old man. 

'I will go see if the ambulance is here.' Connor said and went outside. 

Ava nodded and then turned back to the old man. 'Sir, I need to take deep breaths. Inhale and... exhale.' Ava gave him instructions. 

The man followed and he looked more comfortable. Not for long, the ambulance has arrived and the paramedics followed Connor to their location. They put the man on the stretcher, carried him to the ambulance and took him to the hospital. 

After the paramedics had left, Ava and Connor were still standing on the same spot. However, everyone was clapping for them. Ava fixed her hair and went back to her shopping trolley, she was trying to avoid Connor as much as possible. 

The crowd left and Connor was trying to find Ava, but she had left the store already.