Chapter 39

2 weeks later

Tony and Cornelius are both ready to go into surgery.

Meredith is going to operate on Cornelius first and then take the liver to Tony where Arizona will prepare him at the same time.

Everything went smoothly, although both Ava and Connor's hearts are racing and worried the whole time, the surgery went without any problems.

Tony woke up first after the surgery.

'Mom?' After spending time together, Tony finally let Ava and Connor in and call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'.

'I am here honey.' Ava smiled at him and gently stroke his head. 'There may be a little bit of pain but everything is OK now.'

Tony nodded and because he was still under the influence of general anesthesia, he fell asleep again.

Later, Connor came back from getting a cup of tea for Ava.

'He woke up like two minutes ago, but he is sleeping now.' Ava said to him. 'How is your father?' 

'He is fine, still under but all vitals are stable.' Connor sat down next to her. 'They said that he has a heart problem before, so they need to monitor It.' 

Ava nodded. 

A month later. 

Because both Ava and Connor are doctors, they took care of Tony very well. His wound closed well and they are ready to go home. For Cornelius, he had his own nurse and Connor checked up on him regularly. 

While they are in hospital, the kids will visit Cornelius in his room. Ava is still uncomfortable when she is around Cornelius but she is slowly letting go. 

However, because Cornelius is classicifed as high risk donor, he will need to stay in the hospital a little bit longer. He will need a full body check before he can go home. 

This day, he need to get his heart check out. And the doctor he was assigned to was Ava. 

'Docotr Bekker.' Cornelius greeted when she entered the room. 

'Mr Rhodes.' Ava replied. 'How are you feeling?' 

'Fine.' Cornelius said. 'Just short of breath some times.' 

'Ok, we will look into that and I will administrate some med if necessary.' Ava looked at his chart and nodded at the nurse. 

Ava check a couple more things and ready to finish. After the nurse left, Ava stayed back and looked Cornelius in the eyes. 

'Thank you.' Ava said sincerely. 'For saving Tony's live.' 

'Like I said, he is my grandson.' Cornelius smiled. 

'But I want you to know that it doesn't meant that I can forgive you, I am sorry.' Ava looked away. 'What you have done to me there are no way I will forget it. I will allow you to come visit the kids in the future and I can bring them to you. But that's it.'

 'I never thought that you will but I am appreciate that you allow me to be a part of the children life.' Cornelius said. 'I really appreciate it.' 

'You take care.' Ava nodded and left the room. 

Ava went home after her shift. Connor bought that apartment he showed Ava and they slowly moved in while Tony is recovering in the hospital. 

Natasha's room is similar to the one that she had at Connor's place before, pastle pink with mostly roes print on the wall. She got a small tea table in one of the corner and a box of toys. The lilac purple room is Saras' and she have lilac wall paper as well. Sara also got a white bookshelf with book that she picked out. Comparing to the girl's room, Tony's room is more grown-up. The main colour is navy blue, and in his room, there is a study desk and bookshelf. 

When she arrived, it was still early. Natasha was play tea party with her teddy bear, Sara was reading quietly on the couch and Tony was writing something in his room. Connor saw her first while he was putting the dishes in the dishwasher. 

'Hey! How was your day?' He walked towards her and took the bags off her. 

'Fine.' Ava walked to the couch. 'I checked on your father by the way. He is fine but there is a slight issue, I gave him some meds, I will see how he does tomorrow.' 

'Mommy.' Sara took her book with her and snuggled Ava. 

'Hi, baby. What are you reading?' Ava saw her book and asked. 

'This is a book about what is going on inside your body.' Sara said. 

Ava checked the other kids as well. 

'Mommy, can we visit grandpa this week?' Natasha said. 'I made a drawing for him.' 

It was a drawing that Natasha and Cornelius playing in the park. 

'Sure.' Ava said. Out of both Ava and Connor expected, Natasha and Cornelius are really close. 

After Ava had her dinner, she spent some more time with the kids. Then they took the kids to the book store before and let them pick their own books. Natasha picked a lot of story books. However, what interest Sara was book about medince and for Tony was financial. Natashe like dancing, Sara's hobby is reading and Tony was learning maths. 

Later that night, all the kids climbed onto Ava and Connor's king size bed and listened to Ava read story. Connor joined them and the story began. 

Just after Ava finished reading the story, they realised that all the kids are sleeping. So Connor picked up Tony and Sara and Ava picked up Natasha, they took them back to their own room. 

Both Ava and Connor was exhausted, they had a quick shower and went to bed. 

In Chicago Med

Someone quietly went into Cornelius room and injected something into his IV bag. 

Around 3 am

Connor's phone rang. It woke both Ava and Connor up. Connor picked up the phone and Ava could tell that something is not fine. 

'Connor what's wrong?' Ava asked. 

'That was Med.' Connor tried to calm himself down. 'They said that my father just passed away...'