Chapter 12

Chicago.

'I thought you guys are staying in the fancy five-star hotel?' Kat helped Ava moved in the suitcases. 

'And miss the chance to catch up with my best friend? No way.' Ava replied. 'Besides, I need someone to watch Natasha when I am out for the night.'

'Aunt Kat, I will give you a hand.' Natasha picked up her own little suitcase. 

'Meow!' Ella was not happy about being ignored. 

'Ella!' Natasha noticed her and soon she dropped her little suitcase in the lounge room. She ran to get Ella and gave her a big hug. 

'Free baby sitter is not offered in the hotel.' Kat said.  'You owe me a drink.' 

'Sure, when you come to visit me in Seattle in the future.' Ava took the last suitcase in and smiled.

After Ava and Natasha settled in, Ava made lunch and Natasha went for a nap. 

Kat and Ava sat on the couch with a cup of coffee. 

'So when is the event?' Kat asked. 

'Wednesday night.' Ava took a sip of her coffee. '6 to 10 pm.'

'So, I checked someone schedule' Kat said secretly.

'And?' Ava raised her eyebrows. 

'He has a surgy scheduled at 6:30 pm. So you probably not going to see him before 8 pm.' Kat looked at Ava. 

'That's a good new.' Ava leaned over and put her cup on the table. 

Indeed a good new for Ava. She can avoid him for at least half of the night. Maybe there is a chance that the important event will be finished by the time that he gets to the venue. Which she can leave early in that case. 

With the thought in her head. She breathes out slowly and letting herself sink down to the couch.

Wednesday

'Mommy you look amazing!' Natasha said to Ava as she came out of her room. 

'Thank you, sweetheart.' Ava replied. 

Ava is wearing a black sparkling open-back dress with a V-neck. Her long blonde hair was tied into a bun, leaving her gorgeous neck exposed in the air. On the right side of the dress, there is a slip opened just above her right knee, showcasing the long and beautiful line of her legs. Pair of black heels just made her skin glow even more. Her makeup is not over the top but gave a good highlight to her features.

'Ava you do look amazing.' Kat came and took a look. 

'Thanks, but I don't know what jewellery should I wear.' Ava looked at herself in the mirror and trying to make a decision. 

'Mommy, can I pick them out?' Natasha volunteered. 

'Sure.' Ava took the box down to Natasha level and show her the options. 

'The white ones with the purple flower!' Natasha pointed. 

She pointed to a very simple set of jewellery. It is a simple pair of drop earrings made out of Swarovski crystal and a silver necklace with a small lilac pendant. This set of jewellery actually complements Ava well. 

'Good choice.' Kat said. 'Your daughter has great eyes.' 

'She does.' Ava looked at her daughter who is playing with her own toy surgical kit. Like her father. She thought. 

6 pm. 

Ava arrived at the venue with Teddy.

She looked around the whole place first and to her releases, Connor is not there. 

Ava took a deep breath and try to calm herself down.

'Ava are you ok?' Teddy asked. 

'Yeah, why?'

'You just looked very... um... tense.' Teddy said.

'Just the aircon, it is freezing in here.' Ava rubbed her arms and pretend she is cold.

'Please don't get sick, I will go get you a drink. What do you want?' Teddy asked. 

'I will go with you.' Ava said. 

They went to the open bar. Teddy got a glass of white wine and Ava got a glass of water in a wine glass.

'No alcohol?' 

'Not tonight.' Ava replied.

Teddy knows since she met Ava, she rarely drinks, even when they go out for a girl night. One glass of any kind of drink will last her all night. She also knows why but it is a long story. 

Turnout the night went smoother than they think. They met a lot of different experience doctors across the country. Throughout the years, Ava also earned her own reputation as a successful cardiothoracic surgeon. Some younger surgeons came and said'hi'. 

After they greet people after about an hour, they went to the restroom and touch up their makeup and get away from the crowd.

Ava walked of the restroom first and she froze and Teddy who came right behind her bump into her. 

'Oh, dear! Ava, what are you doing?' Teddy rubbed her nose gently.

Ava didn't say anything but she pushed Teddy back to the restroom again.

'Oh my god! Ava, what's wrong.' Teddy was so confused.

'I thought Kat said he is not coming this early.' Ava said to herself. 

'Who?' Teddy was even more confused. 

Ava looked up and her eyes were filled with scare, pain and struggle. Instantly, Teddy knows. 

'Ok, Ava calm down.' Teddy comforted her.

'I am trying.' She leaned towards the couch with her arms supporting her body but she still hyperventilating. 'I think I am having a panic attack.'

'Ava, Ava! Breathe slowly.' Teddy guided her. 'Inhale deep and exhale through your mouth.'

Ava followed her directions and soon she looks so much better. 

'There you go. Now, look at yourself in the mirror. You are a brilliant surgeon and it was his loss.' Teddy said. 'And Natasha is not her.'

There is a moment Ava realised the whole time she was worried about seeing him is because of Natasha, but what if he never knows.

'Yeah, thank you. I will be fine, I promise.' Ave dried her tear and touch up her makeup.

'That's my girl.' Teddy smiled.

They walked out of the restroom and got new drinks. Ava got a glass of water again. They tried to avoid Connor through the whole time and luckily they were sitting from a table that is far away from where Connor was sitting. Until...