Chapter 4

Ava felt sick again while she was waiting in the doctor lounge. She saw Connor walked out of the hybrid OR and she quickly stood up to look for him.

Connor saw her coming, he removed his surgical cap and looked at her. 

'She will be fine.' Connor said. 

'Thank you.' Ava sighed. Regardless of what happened between them, Ava was grateful that he saved her neighbour. She fixed her hair and massaged her temple, tried to get rid of the headache. 

'You are welcome.' Connor looked down to his hands than to her again. 'Ava, we need to talk.'

'No, we don't.' Ava looked away, tried to avoid eyes contact with him. 

'Ava.' Connor grabbed her wrist. 'Please.' 

'Connor, you are the one that accused me, now you want to talk? I am not yours.' Ava felt so furious and her headache is killing her too. 

Ava walked away, leaving Connor standing again. Connor shook his head and headed to the doctor lounge to get change, it was the end of his shift. He left the hospital in 15 minutes.

She was going to take a rest up at the CT floor before she goes home. She took a half an hour nap and then ready to go home. She stood in front of the elevator and wait for it to come. The dizziness hit her once again and as she down to the ED floor, she passed out. 

'Ava!' Kat, who came here for the last minute paperwork. She catches Ava and asked for help. 

Maggie and the nurses help her up on one of the gurneys. No one that Ava knew was here in the ED. So Kat did the work-up and order a blood test. 

'Get her to one of the room and page me when the test is out.' Kat ordered. 

1 hour later

Ava was laying on the hospital bed weakly, Kat walked in the room and sighed. 

'Ava...' Kat said. 

'What happened?' Ava waked up and opened her eyes slowly.

'You passed out.' Kat answered her question. 

Ava tried to push herself up but she can't and felt very weak.

'Take it easy, let me help.' Kat helped her up and put a pillow behind her back.

'So, what's is wrong with me?' Ava pulled a smile.

'I ran your blood. And...' Kat stopped.

'What? Kat, you are scaring me.' Ava looked at her. 

'You are pregnant Ava.' Kat said seriously. 

It was like the lighting stroke to Ava. Everything around her seems disappeared. She froze and tears silently fell out of her eyes. Ava slowly placed her hand on her stomach. 

'How long?' Ava asked. 

'About a month and a half.' Kat said. 

Memories rushed out of the back of Ava's mind. The night before the gala, before everything falls apart.

'So, what are you going to do? Do you know who's the father?' Kat put a hand on her shoulder.

'Yes, I know. I am not going to give this baby up. And the father doesn't need to know.' Ava sighed and said. 'And you are not allowed to tell anyone.'

'I promise.' Kat said. 'Are you going to tell the hospital?' 

'No, and so do you.' Ava grabbed her hand. 'We are not going to talk about the pregnancy in the hospital unless is necessary.' 

'Let me take a wild guess, the baby daddy is someone in the hospital.' Kat looked at her. 

'Kat, I meant it. Especially on the CT and ED floors.' Ava said it seriously.

'You have my word, Ava.' Kat promised. 'Do you want to come up to the OB floor and look at the little one through ultrasound?'

'Sure.' Ava nodded her head. 

Ava got out of the bed and follow Kat up secretly. Kat took her to one of the room and asked her to lay down on the chair. She took out the ultrasound and put the gel on Ava's belly. Kat moved the thing around as Ava staring at the monitor. 

'Here.' Kat stopped and pointed at the monitor. 

'There you are, hi baby.' As a doctor, Ava knew where is the baby and what it should look like. The tear came down again.

'I will get you the vitamin.' Kat left the room and came back with a small bottle. 'I assume that you would want a picture?' 

'Yes, please.' Ava wipe the gel off her belly and pulled her shirt back down.

Kat printed it out and handed the image to Ava. Ava put the picture in her bag carefully and headed home. 

She sat up on the bed after shower. She lifted her shirt and circled her belly with her hand. Her belly is still flat but she can feel it now. 

'I love you.' Ava said softly. 'But daddy can't know that you are here.' 

She opened the drawer next to her bed and took out the picture that she got this morning. Running her finger on the photo. Her eyes were full of tear again. In her mind, she has a plan, for her and the baby.

Next morning 

The sun rose up and shone in the bedroom. Ava was lying on the bed peacefully. The alarm woke her up and the next second she rushed out of bed. She ran to the toilet and threw up. The morning sickness has kicked in. Ava cleaned her mouth and went out to look for breakfast. 

Ella jumped up on the counter when Ava came out of the bedroom. 

'Morning Ella.' Ava said as she searching for food in the kitchen. 

She found an avocado from the fridge and made avocado toast. She drove to the hospital after she fed Ella.