Chapter 13

'Ladies and gentlemen, the hopeful award is for the most skilled, caring and outstanding Cardiothoracic surgeon. We had invited our nominees tonight, there are 10 nominees this year. Surprisingly, according to our votes from the foundation board, we have a tie!' The host said.

Ava listened to the host carefully and close her eyes. She hoped she can get the award, but she doesn't want to be noticed by Connor. She closed her eyes and leaned back to her chair. 

On the other hand, Connor was wondering if Ava is to be here. However, they were at different ends in the venue. 

'Connor, are you ok?' Lisa asked. She saw Connor looking around. 

'Yeah, just thought that I saw an old friend.' Connor sighed.

On the stage, the winners are being announced. 

'The awards winners are... Dr Connor Rhodes and Dr Ava Bekker. Please welcome them on stage.' 

Connor was surprising but thrill at the same time. Ava is here! That was his first thought. He stood up quickly and ready to walk on stage. The stairs are only on the left side of the stage, which is the side that Ava was sitting. As a gentleman, Connor waited there for her. 

Ava on the other hand, glad that she got the awards but that means she needs to get on the stage with Connor. She opened her eyes and there are lots of different emotion in her mind. She even thought that just pretending she was not there. However, she was being congratulated by the other guest at her table, she doesn't really have a choice right now. 

Ava slowly stood up. In a room full of people that are sitting, the two standing ones are obvious. Connor saw her immediately. Ava walked towards him and she was hoping that there is a plane crash in right now but that didn't happen. 

Connor offered his hand and as much as Ava tried to ignore it, she can't. Ava and Connor walk up the stairs, there are only four steps but it feels like forever for Ava. 

They gave the thank you speech and it was perfect. Just like they have rehearsed beforehand. As soon as they finished, Ava walked off the stage quickly. 

After the award winners were all announced there is an after-party. Ava wanted to leave the place as soon as possible but she got caught up by some other doctors. Finally, she was ready to leave and just waiting for Teddy to finish a phone call. However, the last person that she wanted to have a conversation with show up in front of her, Connor. 

'Ava! How are you!' Connor asked.

'Dr Rhodes. I am fine.' Ava put on a fake smile.

'Ava, I had been looking for you for the last three years ... and I ... I am sorry.' Connor tried to look Ava in the eyes but the avoided eyes contact with him. 

'Dr Rhodes, that was unnecessary. We don't know each other that well, besides we  don't own each other anything.' Ava turned her head away. She noticed that Connor is more mature and she can tell that he meant what he said. Does he know the truth? But it doesn't matter now, it is all too late. Ava thought to herself.

'Ava, please, we don't need to do this.' 

'We are not doing...'  

'You let our baby go.' Connor cut her off. 

Ava looked away. 

'Connor!' Lisa called out his name when Connor just about to say something. She walked up to him and put her arms through his. 'Dr Bekker, congratulation.' 

'Thank you.' Ava said it calmly. Of course, another woman. He is still Mr charming. Ava thought.

'Connor told me that you were amazing, I am an intern in CT, I hope I can learn from you someday.' 

'Oh, I am surprised, but thank you. What a pretty date you have there Dr Rhodes, lucky you.' Ava said. 

Lisa blushed, but only Connor knew that she was mocking him. 

'Connor is my idol too. He diagnoses the patient so fast.' Lisa said and somehow she felt proud to work with him. Little did she know that Ava was working with him before. 

'I think that was what Dr Rhodes famous for, quick in-and-out.' Just like the old-time, Ava still remembers. 

'Ava!' Teddy saw her and walked towards her. 

'Sorry, my friend is waiting for me. Excuse me.' Ava walked away.

Later that night

Connor and Lisa are in the car. 

'That Ava Bekker was so arrogant. Just a woman from South Africa, who does she think she is, she talked to me like I am nobody.' Lisa said and rolled her eyes. Because of her father, who is funding the hospital, she was being treated like a princess. 

'She is a respected surgeon, you are only a resident.' Connor said it in an angry voice. 

'Fine.' Lisa was angry that Connor nearly screamed at her. For the past three years, she thought that Connor is going to be hers. And now with the appearance of Ava, which took away Connor's full attention. However, these just all her fantasy. 

The other side, Ava and Teddy were on their way back. 

'So that is Dr Rhodes. Natasha's father.' Teddy said.

'Yep, happy now? You girls wanted to meet him all the time.' 

'I think Mer will be thrilled. ' Teddy joked.

'He was with a different woman last time I saw him.' Ava was surprised that she didn't see Robin today. 

'Oh, McPopular.' 

'No, McAsshole.' 

'So what was the reason that you guys broke up?' Teddy asked. 

'He thinks I slept with his father to get the OR that he wanted. Oh, and did I mention the part that he thinks I need help and I am some sort of psychopath. Because of his ex-girlfriend, who was sick and... I am sorry.' Ava started to get agitated. 

'It's OK.' Teddy said. 'But as a friend, I can tell you he meant it. He meant what he said. You saw me and Owen we been through a lot. And all I hope for Allison is for her to have a family. Natasha is growing up and she is asking for her father.'

'I know, just give me time.'

10 minutes later

Teddy arrived at the hotel, she got out the cab first. 

'Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you that Greys Solan and Chicago Med are going to have a partnership. We are going to look at the Cardio department tomorrow. I will send you the details tonight. Good night.' After Teddy finished, she ran away like a rabbit.

Leaving Ava in shock, the cab drove her back to Kat house. And who knows what is going to happen tomorrow...