Chapter 18

----Continue with Nic's memory ----

'You need a C-section.' Nic said. As a nurse practitioner, she knows.

'We can't do it here.' Ava said. 'You need to turn the baby.'

'I have never done one.' Nic said. 'I only did one year for midwifery.'

'You need to do an external cephalic version ECV. Place your hands on my stomach and use firm pressure to rotate the baby.' Ava said.

'You will be in pain.' Nic said.

'I would rather be in pain than both of us die.' Ava said as another contraction hits.

'OK, I am starting now.' Nic slowly place her hand on her belly.

Ava tear a piece of fabric from her shirt and bite it.

The pain was so strong. Her forehead covered in sweat. She could not hold it anymore, she scream out loud.

Not for long, Nic felt the baby move and she put her hand in Ava again.

'I felt her head.' Nic said.

Ava was almost passed out, but she still gave Nic a very smile.

The contraction are getting closer and Ava was ready to push.

'OK, Ava. I need you to push.' Nic grabbed Ava's hand and tried to get her mind back.

'Yeah.' Ava but her bottom lip to keep herself away.

The pain was getting stronger and Ava almost pass out a few time.

'Ava, one last push. A big one.'

Ava pushed with almost all the strength in her body. She screamed all the pain out.

A cried follow the screaming.

'Ava you did it!' Nic wrapped the baby up with her jumper. And placed her close to Ava.

Ava smiled and kissed the baby on the forehead, then she passed out.

'Ava? Ava! Stay with me.' Nic noticed she passed out and held the baby for her.

Suddenly, the light came back on and the signal is back on. Nic called straight away. 

'This is Nurse Nevin. I am on the fifth floor with a newborn. the mother just passed out. Send help please.'

5 minutes later, Conrad arrived.

'Dr Bekker?'

'Yes, she just delivered her baby. and...'

 ----End with Nic's memory ----

'I didn't know.' Connor looked over to Ava.

'She was fine after a month or so. She pretended she is fine but she is not really.' Nic sighed. 'When she came to Conrad and my engagement party, she screamed and went into a panic attack after we pop a bottle of champagne. 

Connor didn't say anything but he holds Ava's hand even tighter. He couldn't possibly imagine what Ava had been through. He knew that she is brave but being threatened to yourself is one thing but your love one being threatened is another stories. How sick was the shoot was to point his gun to an unborn baby. Connor looked over to Natasha who is sleeping on the temporary bed. 

*knock knock*

Natalie knock the door, 'Hey Connor, I am just come to check on Ava.' Then she checked Ava breathing and heartbeat. 'She is all stable and she doesn't need anymore med.'

'Thanks, Natalie.' Connor nodded.

'How is the little girl.' Natalie asked.

'She is fine, but can you believe it? She is my daughter.' 

'Congratulation Connor!' Natalie smile.

'Thank you. When Ava wakes up, our family can finally be together.' 

After one night, Connor was discharged, Nic and Conrad stayed around to help them. Especially with Natasha since Connor's arm is still injured. 

It is the second day since the shooting happened. Ava is still unconscious. Nic and Conrad went for lunch, Connor insisted they go. He was staying back with Natasha, who is drawing quietly next to Ava. 

'Daddy look!' Natasha showed Connor what she drew. It was a family photo. 'This is me, this is mommy and this is daddy.' 

'It is beautiful sweetheart.' Connor said. 

Connor was surprised by how mature and easy Natasha is. After just one night, the two bonded easily.

'I am going to show mommy when she wakes up.' Natasha said as she carefully put the drawing away.

'Hey, do you want to come to sit with me?' Connor asked.

'Sure.' Natasha ran towards him and crawled up to his leg. She did it carefully because Nic told her that Connor is in pain. 

'I want you to know that I love you and your mommy so so much!' Connor whispered to her. 

'Daddy, I love you and mommy too.' Natasha whispered back to him and kissed him on the cheek. 

Connor's heart melted instantly and kissed her back.

'Mommy made my costumes for school book week.' Natasha said.

'Really, I didn't know your mommy can sew.' Connor said. 'What were you dressed as?'

'Little red riding hood.' Natasha said. 'Auntie Teddy said that mommy sewing is surgical stitches.'

'Haha!' Connor laughed. He can imagine Ava sewing.

'But mommy slept for the morning the next day. Auntie Teddy drop me off school with Allison.' 

'What time did you girls went home the night before?' Connor asked.

'6 p.m. Mommy cooked and put me in bed.'

Connor stroke Natasha's hair, Connor knew that Ava must stay up all night to make the costume. After a long day of surgeries, they are usually exhausted by the end of the day. Ava still stayed up to make the costumes. At this moment, Connor realised how important the Natasha is to Ava, and what a good mother Ava is.

'When will mommy wake up?' Natasha asked as she walked to Ava's bedside and attempted to get on the bed.

'I am not sure sweetheart, but she will wake for you, eventually.' Connor walked towards the bed as well and gave Natasha a little push, then he sat on the chair next to the bed.

'Mommy, I love you please wake up soon.' Natasha held Ava's hand and kissed her on her forehead.