Chapter 27

It is the day that Ava finally starts officially working at Chicago med again. 

At the CT floor, all the surgeons and nurses were waiting for the meeting, including Connor and Lisa. Goodwins arrived with Ava and a young doctor with long red hair. 

'Good morning everyone. May I please have your attention. I have an announcement to make. This won't take too long.' Goodwins stood in front of the nurse station. 

'Please welcome your new chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Dr Ava Bekker. Welcome or, should I say welcome back Dr Bekker.' Goodwins said and clapped her hands. 

Everyone clapped and smiles, well maybe except Lisa who is not so willing. 

'Thank you, everyone. I am glad to be back. To whom I have work with before, it is good to see you all again.' Ava said as she nodded her head towards people like Beth and Marty, and her eyes ended up looking at Connor. 'And for those have never met me before, nice to meet you all.' 

Lisa rolled her eyes while Ava acknowledged everyone. 

'And as for this new doctor here,' Goodwins pointed to the young doctor stood next to Ava. 'Dr Mia Harvard, she was Dr Bekker's resident in Greys-Solan and recently gained her fellowship. She had decided to join Dr Bekker and continue her study with her in Chicago Med.' 

'Hi, everyone, my name is Mia and I hope we can get along. Well, at least try to.' Mia stepped forwards smiling and waved her hand. 

Everyone smiled at her and thought she is an interesting person. However, there is always one person that has a different opinion. 

'Of course, with her slutty looks, she will really get along.' Lisa said to herself. 

Mia looked over and spotted her in the crowd. It was like she heard her saying. Lisa realised and rolled her eyes again. 

'Thank you for your time and you may return to work now.' Goodwins said. 

After Goodwins left, most nurses and surgeons that Ava knew came over and gave her a hug, then they walked over to Mia and shook her hand. 

Ava walked over to Connor after she saw everyone. 

'Mia, this is Dr Connor Rhodes. He is the chief of trauma surgery and a CT surgeon.' Ava introduced Mia to Connor. 'And he used to be my competition.' 

'Nice to meet you.' Mia shook Connor's hand.

'Nice to meet you too.' Connor said, then he turned to Lisa. 'This is Dr Lisa Davies and she is a second-year resident.'

'Hi.' Mia smiled at her. 

Lisa nodded but didn't say anything. 

'So, are you working up here today or trauma?' Ava got her charts and schedule of the day while she talked quietly to Connor who walked next to her. 

'You miss working with me already?' Connor smiled, he was back to his old self. More specifically, his old self when Ava and he was having the perfect chemistry. 

'Easy there cowboy.' Ava said. 'I am just wondering if anyone going to fight surgery with me on my first day back.' She tapped Connor's should with a pen and walked away. 

'Sorry to disappoint you, Dr Bekker. I am down at trauma service today.' Connor smirked. ' But feel free to call me if there is any good case.' 

'Have fun at trauma today, Dr Rhodes.' Ava turned around and smiled. 

Connor watched her turned right into the examination room, then ready to head down to the ED. 

'Connor, can I shadow you today?' Lisa stopped him. 

'It's Dr Rhodes, and Dr Davies, you chose the CT as your specialty.' Connor said impatiently. 

'I don't want that woman to tell me what to do.' Lisa said like a spoilt brat. 

'Dr Bekker is an extraordinary surgeon and you need to show some respect.' Connor replied with slight anger and he walked towards the elevator without looking at her. 

Mia who was at the nurse station heard everything and raised her eyebrow. She turned around and looked at her. 

'What?' Lisa said. 

'Nothing, but just be careful about what you say.' Mia suggested. 

'It is none of your business.' Lisa rolled her eyes again. 'And who are you to lecture me? A lapdog for Ava Bekker? My father helped fund the hospital and I can make you disappear just like that.'

'Well, first of all, Ava is my mentor and if anyone disrespects her, I will give them hell. Second, I don't care who you or your father is, you are the resident and I am the fellow, which means you work under me.' Mia walked close to Lisa and said. 'And last, I am not interested in men.'

'You...' Lisa said angrily. 

'Now, if I am reading this right, you are under my service today.' Mia showed Lisa the chart and ready to head to the examination room. 

Lisa angrily stomp the floor and followed Mia even she didn't want to. 

Later that day, Ava was taking a rest in the locker room and Mia walked in. 

'Hey, how was your first day?' Ava said. 

'Not bad, but it is so different.' Mia said. 'Remember how strict the rules that Dr Bailey set.' 

'Well, that's what I thought at the beginning but trust me, they meant nice.' Ava explained and passed her a bottle of water. 

'Thanks, I know, but there is this one resident who cannot put her father aways.' Mia said to her. 

'Oh, I take that you had met Lisa.' Ava raised her eyebrow. 

'Yeah, speaking of. She is a big fangirl for your Dr Rhodes.' Mia took a sip of the water and looked at Ava. 

'I know, but wait, how did you?' Ava was confused about how Mia knows about her and Connor. 

'I was told by Dr Altman.' Mia explained. 'Besides, it is Greys-Solan. No secret is kept.' 

'She is a dead woman next time I see her.' Ava said with an angry face. 

'Anyway, is your shift over?' Mia giggled. 

'In 5 minutes.' Ava looked at the clock on the wall. 

'Drinks?' Mia asked. 

'I wish I can come but I need to go pick up Natasha. Still a mother, remember?' Ava said. 

'Oh, right.' Mia said. 'Next time? Please?' Mia grabbed Ava's arm and swung it like a child. 

'You know the only person who still does that is Natasha.' Ava said. 'And I still remember that you tried to seduce me when I first got to Greys-Solan.' 

Mia was like a little girl in front of Ava and it was completely different to who she was this morning with Lisa. 

'That's was an...' Mia blushed. 'Well, you were rather attractive. And we agree to forget about that. Now, drink next time?'

'Sure, when Connor takes Natasha for the night.' Ava nodded. 

'Great, I will see you at the next shift then.' Mia smiled and said.

'Have a great night.' Ava said. 

After the conversation with Mia, Ava changed her clothes and went to pick up Natasha from daycare. 

The first day went so smoothly, but there is something coming their way. Something good and something bad, more like someone bad.