Chapter 1

After the big fight, Ava drove home with a million things going through her head. She still couldn't believe that Connor took his father words over her. 

She parked her car in the car park and took the lift up to her apartment. The words that she heard from Connor hurt her so bad that she is feeling sick. Ava rushed through her door and ran into the bathroom. She threw up at the sink and felt dizzy. 

'What the hell is wrong with me?' She said with her arms on edges the sink, trying to hold herself up.

Ava cleaned the sink with water and walk out of the bathroom. She tried to calm herself down while she sat on the couch. She put her head back on the couch and place her hand on top of her forehead. 

'Maybe is the flu.' She mumbled to herself. The flu has been going around in the city, and she must have caught it in the hospital. That's her theory. 

She cleaned herself up and tucked herself in bed. However, she couldn't sleep. Ava lied on the bed with her knee against her chest. Tears came down silently from her beautiful eyes and wet the pillowcase. The room was so empty, and she felt alone. It was a restless night. 

Next day

Ava walked towards the coffee cart and ordered a black coffee like she always does. The wind blew up her blonde hair, and she tightened her coat. It is so cold in Chicago. Just when her mind was going to take her to a dark place, the barista called her name and handed her the coffee.

The ED was as busy as usual when Ava walked in. She walked faster than usual so she won't see anyone she doesn't want to see. However, someone stopped her. It's Maggie. She looked rushed and panic. 

'Dr Bekker, there was a shooting that happened in a building ten minutes ago. There are going to be chaotic in here, and we are expected to see a massive trauma.'  Maggie looked up from the screen. 'Ava, are you ok?' 

'I am fine.' Ava nodded and asked. 'Like last time? OK, how can I help?'

'I already talked to Dr Latham, and he agreed that you stay down here and help.' Maggie said.

'Sure, I will get change into the scrub and be right out.' Ava tucked her hair behind her ear.

Ava walked towards the doctor lounge, and before she entered, she made sure that Connor is not in there. The fact was, he was not. Ava walked in the room and after two minutes, Natalie came in too. 

'Ava?' Natalie seemed surprised to see her here.

'Natalie, good morning!' Ava smiled at her, but the smile was so weak. 

'Good morning. Are you ok?' Natalie asked. 

'Yeah, why is everyone keep asking me that?' Ava still trying to put her stuff away while she answered. 

' You looked very pale, and you don't sound very well.' Natalie walked towards her. 

'Long night, that's all.' Ava shook her head. 

Suddenly, the same dizziness hit Ava as she walked towards the change room. She stumbled and fell on the couch.

'Ava!' Natalie ran next to her. 'Are you ok?' 

'Yeah, I just felt dizzy; I will be fine.' Ava used her finger to massage her temple. 

'Maybe you should take a day off.' Natalie concerned. 

'Nat, I am fine. Besides we have a mass casualty coming.' Ava tried to push herself up using the couch, and soon she discovered that she couldn't, at the same time, she felt nauseous too.

'No, you are not. Look at you. You can't even stand up.' Natalie put her hand on Ava's forehead. 'You are a bit warm too.' 

'Fine, I will go home.' Ava knew that it would be unprofessional to treat the patient when she is sick. 

Ava said goodbye to Natalie and talked to Maggie. Maggie said 'yes' because Ava does look very not well. 

After she did that, she walked to the carpark and ready to go home. And here, she met the only person that she was trying to avoid the whole morning, Connor. 

Connor just parked and walked out of his car when Ava saw him. Ava tried to walk faster to her car before she has to interact with Connor. However, the thing didn't go her way.

'Dr Bekker.' Connor called her name

'Dr Bekker? So this is how it goes now?' Ava said while she tried to maintain her tear from falling down. Also, she was trying so hard not to show that she is not feeling good.

'I don't know what to say.' Connor lowered his head. 

'You know what, forget about it.' Ava felt so frustrated and sick at the same time. She walked past him and ran to her car. 

'Ava!' Connor shouted and turned towards her. 

'Dr Rhodes, why don't you take your damn ego and that victim act of yours to someone else. Because I am done.' Ava said as she slammed her car door shut.

Outside the hospital, Connor watched her drove away in the wind. After Ava's car was out of his sight, Connor headed toward that ED.

Inside the car, as Ava was driving, the tears came out again uncontrollably. After she thought that she was out of Connor sight, she pulled over and buried her face in her arms on top of the stirring wheel.