Chapter 7

When Ava and Kat were signing in, Connor and Robin had already entered the room. 

After they sign in, Ava found her table on the board and so did Kat. They were sitting quite close to each other, their tables were right next to each other. 

They walked in together and Connor notices them as they approaching the table. 

Connor was actually shocked, seeing Ava in her dress. He had never seen Ava in dresses like this one. 

Ava, on the other hand, noticed that Robin was sitting right next to Connor, no doubt to her that Robin is his date for the night. She tried to locate her seat, unfortunately for her, it was right next to Connor. 

'Of course, it is' She thought to herself. The night just has gotten worst. 

'Hi, Ava.' Robin greeted her. 

'Robin, you are back in town.' Ava said as she was sitting down. 

'Yeah, I was back a week ago.' Robin said, 'Connor asked me out for a drink and then he invited me to be his date for tonight.' She put her hand on Connors like some kind of claim of a procession. 

'Good for both of you.' Ava put on an awkward smile. 

Kat in the other table heard and saw it all. She thought what Robin did was totally unnecessary. Although she doesn't know what was going on, she had a pretty clear picture of the situation. 

The waiter asked them what they wanted to drink, most of them order wine or champagne. Ava just asked for a glass of water. 

'No alcohol?' Connor asked. 

'I am sick and I can't have any.' Ava explained only because there were other people with them, or she will just tell him to mind his own business. 

After a few speeches, dinner was served. It was a three courses meal. After the appetiser, they serviced a fish entree. The smell of the fish was making Ava sick.

'Excuse me.' Ava quickly stood up and walked out with her hand covering her mouth. 

Kat saw and followed her. 

Ava reach the ladies room and tried to throw up in the toilet. Kat went in and helped her to hold her hair and patted her back. Nothing comes out, so Ava slowly stood up and walked to the sink. 

'The fish?' Kat asked.

'Yeah.' Ava sighed. She felt better now. 

They went out of the bathroom and asked for a glass of water. Kat asked the waiter to change Ava's dish into a vegetable soup due to allergy. 

'So the girl sitting next to baby daddy.' Kat threw a question. 

'Robin?' Of course, Ava knew where this conversation was going. 'She is Connor ex-girlfriend. Well, was, I guess. And can you please stop calling him baby daddy.' Ava filled her in about the history of Robin and Connor. 

'Wow, that was complicated.' Kat said. 

They started walking back to the table and sat back down after the waiter changed Ava's fish into soup. 

Back to Connor. After Ava walked out, he felt strange and quickly he was distracted by Robin. He felt even weirder after they change her dish. 

'Are you ok?' Seeing Ava came back to the table, Connor asked. 

'Yeah.' Ava answered him shortly. 

As the night progressed, Ava and Connor were in a very uncomfortable position. They would occasionally touch each other accidentally. 

An unexpected event happened, they asked each department to send two representatives to do a short speech. And like expected, everyone on the table voted for Ava and Connor, except themselves and Robin. 

'Now, can we please welcome the CT department.' 

Everyone started clapping. Connor stood up first and helped Ava to move her chair like the gentleman that he always was. He held his arm out and Ava warped her around his. 

They walk up the stand and made a speech. Like the perfect work partner they were, the speech was harmony and looked like they reheard a thousand time.  Of course, Robin was jealous but she kept telling herself that they were only doing their job. 

After the speech section, it was free time for everyone to social. Ava and Kat were together until Kat needed to use the restroom. Ava was waiting in the hallway when Connor came out. He walked up to her and tried to have a conversation. 

'Ava.' Connor said. 

'Connor.' She replied. 'Where is Robin?' 

'She is in the ladies room.'  He answered. 'Are you sure you are ok?'

'Connor, we are not doing this.' 

'Ava, please, I am just concern as a colleague. You have been sick for weeks, something is wrong.' 

'Well, I am fine, thank you, Dr Rhodes. I am a doctor too, I can take care of myself.'

'You are lying, I haven't seen you drinking coffee and the vomiting, you didn't touch any alcohol tonight.' Connor grabbed her arm. 

'Since when did you care.' Hearing what Connor said, Ava was afraid that what is he going to find out. 'Whatever I say it a lie, it was all I do, that was your words. I was just a stop and something for you to get over Robin!'

'Ava, I think you really need to go talk or see someone. I can get you to Dr Charles or other...' Connor said but Ava cut him off.

'You still won't let your ego go for a God damn minute.' Ava was furious by this point.

'Connor.' Lucky for her, Robin is out of the bathroom. 

Ava freed her arm from Connor's hand and storms off back in the venue, leaving Connor looking at her back. 

The night finally finished, Ava went home and this was actually the last day she has anything to do with the hospital. 

The next day, Ava spent her whole day packing. Since her apartment was close to the hospital, Kat was going to take over her lease, so all Ava need to pack was her clothes and personal belonging. She left Ella with Kat, because she think it will difficult for her to be a working mother and looking after the cat at the same time.

Although it was sad to say goodbye to her best friend, Ava had to go. Kat drove her to the airport and watching the scenery past, Ava tried to leave those memories behind. 

Airport

'Promise me you will come back and visit me.' Kat hugged her. 'I will fly to you when your due date is closer.'

'Promise.' She let the tears out. 'I will miss you so much.' 

'Me too.' 

They said goodbye to each other and Ava got on the plane. 

Sitting on her seat, there were a million feelings going though Ava's head. 

'Goodbye, Chicago. Goodbye... Connor.'