Chapter 35

One day later, both of them went back to work, but unfortunately, they kept getting different shift or same shift in different departments. 

Ava just finished checking on a patient on the pediatric floor, just when she turned around and walked away from the nurse stations, a little girl bumped into her. 

The little girl looked up at her 'I am sorry.' 

'That's ok.'  Ava smiled. She looked at the little girl and somehow she felt that the girl looks so much like Natasha, long curly blond hair and gorgeous blue eyes. 'What's your name?'

'Sara.' The little girl smiled. 

'Hi, Sara. I am Ava. Where are your parents?' Ava asked. 

'It's only me and my brother Tony.' Sara's smile faded away for a second but came back when she mentioned her big brother.

A nurse passes them and Ava asked about where Tony's room is. Then she brought Sara back to Tony's room.

There is no one but a little boy sleeping on the bed. The room was just empty even though it was filled with medical equipments, but comparing to the others that decorated with flowers and ballon, this room was like an adult's patient room. 

Just when Ava was thinking, she heard a wheezing sound. She looked down to Sara and realised that she had trouble breathing. Ava took her to the chair next to the bed and found a puffer with her name on the table. 

Sara took the puffer and it was like she done it a million time, she start to breathe in slowly and deeply through her mouth, and press down firmly on the canister to fire one puff of the medicine at the same time.

'There you go. Breathe sweetheart.' Ava ran her hand on Sara's back. 

Sara nodded. 

Since Ava didn't have more surgery that day, she stayed until Sara fall asleep after lunch. 

After that, Ava went to ask the nurse about their situation and Connr came to find her at the same time. So she told him about these kids. 

'Poor kids.' Connor commented. 

'You know that, for one second I thought she was Natasha when she ran into me.' Ava took a sip of her tea. 

'Really?' Connor said. 'All kids look similar sometime.' 

'No, it's more than that.' Ava shook her head. 'I could have gone after I sent her back to the room but I stayed.' 

'Ava, what are you suggesting?' Connor was confused. 

'I don't know. Just this gut feeling.' Ava answered. 'I probably just too tired and looking for an excuse to stay away from desk work.' 

'Will a kiss make it better?' Connor tiled his head and asked. 

'Connor, we are in the cafeteria.' 

'I don't care.' Connor leaned forwards and kissed her on the lips. 

However they were quickly interrupted by both of their pagers. Ava took her out of her pocket and checked. 

'It's Goodwin, she wanted me to meet her in her office.' Ava said. 

'Me too.' Connor took a look at his and realised he got the same message. 

They were both confused and walked to Goodwin's office together. 

Goodwin's office 

'Dr Rhodes, Dr Bekker, I paged you regarding to an case that we came across recently.' Goodwin said. 'But I need to confirm a few thing with you two, have a seat.' 

Ava and Connor both sat down and waited for her to started. 

'Were both of you participated in the Future Hope program?' Goodwin asked. 

Future hope program was a program the help people that couldn't have children. Donnor donate their sperms or eggs to people who wanted child but couldn't in different circumstances. 

'Yeah, six years ago when I fisrt arrived to Chicago, the hospital encourage the doctors to donate.' Ava answered. 

'Yeah.' Connor nodded as well. 

'And I assumed that your heard about the break in to the storage facility that happened in the same year.' 

'Yes, I did, but I got a message from them saying that mine was not stolen.' Connor replied. 

'Neither was mine.' Ava followed. 

'But the ferterlized eggs were not named, they were all anonymous.' Goodwin continued. 

'Ms Goodwin, what do you mean?' Ava was so confused right now. 

'Two young children from the social service was sent in couple days ago, one of the needed a liver transfer and we ran his blood to see if there any portential donor. These are the results.' Goodwin hand them each a report. 

Connor and Ava looked at each other and still confused what was Goodwin actually suggesting. They read the report and both look at each other and Goodwin in surprised. 

'DNA matches is 99.9%.' Connor said. 

'Mine too.' Ava was in shock. 'How is this possible.' 

'We had doubt before, so we ran the task twice and the same result came out.' Goodwin sighed. 'But unfortunately, both of your livers were not a match for him.' 

Goodwin told them about the rest of the information and suggest them to ask the PD about what actually happened to the two children. 

After they left the Goodwin's office, they both went down to the pediatric floor. Looking through the door and they both watching the two kids that were sleeping. 

'Now I know why I felt that way, it was a mother instinct.' Ava put her head on Connor's shoulder. 

'Yeah. I am should be the one saying this, I didn't know I have three kids until this year. Crazy.' Connor wrapped his arm on her shoulder. 

'They are our kids, I will love them. But what if they blame us?' Ava started to worried. 

'For not being their?' Connor sighed. 

They both decided to keep them, because they are their children. And now, they are worried about them so so much, especially Tony. 

Looking through the window, watching Tony with the breathing machine. They both worried and this day surprised them all. What are they going to tell Tony and Sara why they weren't there? How to explain to Natasha that she got an older brother and an older sister? Also, how are they going to save Tony?