Chapter 5

Ava arrived at the hospital. She parked her car and immediately she saw Connors. She couldn't help herself but moved her hand on her belly. After taking a deep breath, she walked into Med through the ED. 

ED was as busy as usual, no one really notices her arrival. Ava was glad because she really not in the mood of smiling due to the morning sickness. She quickly went up to the CT floor and surprisingly she saw Kat. 

'Dr Giselle, what do I owe the pleasure?' Ava said, walked towards her and gave her a hug. 

'Dr Bekker, pleasure is mine.' Kat laughed and hugged her back. 'There is a CT patient who is pregnant, so I was paged for a consult.'

'Oh.' Ava still not comfortable with the word 'pregnant' yet. 

'How are you feeling? Any morning sickness yet?' Kat asked. 

'Geez, Kat. Do you want everyone to know that I am ...' Ava pointed to her belly. 

'Chill, Ava. You said not in the ED, this is not the ED.' Kat started walking with Ava.

'It's worst.' Ava crossed her arms. 

'Baby daddy is in CT too?' Kat said. 'You go Ava.'

'Shut your mouth before I stab you with a scalpel.' Ava threatened as they stop at the surgical board. 

'Hey, I am just saying you never have a bad taste in man.' Kat teased. 

Ava ignored her and looked for her name on the board. She has two surgeries by herself and one with Connor. 

'Crap!' Ava sighed. 

'What's the matter.' Kat looked at the board. 'You have a dual surgery, so?'

'Nothing.' Ava didn't plan to tell Kat about Connor just yet. 

'Wait, Dr Connor Rhodes. I saw his name down in the ED too. He is a trauma surgeon... and a CT one?' It was too late, Kat figured out. 'You said not mentioning the baby in the ED or this floor, so he is both...'

'Kat what are you doing?' Ava questioned. 

'He is the baby daddy.' Kat confronted Ava. 

'Why don't you join PD. They need the talent.' Ava turned and walked away. 

'I was right.' Kat ran to catch up with Ava. 

'Kat, no one knows except you and me, are we clear?' Ava said. 

'Crystal.'

Kat's pager went off and she said goodbye to Ava. 

Later that day 

Ava finished her two solo surgeries and resting in the locker room up in CT. She was so tired and hungry. She brought a muffin and a cup of tea from the coffee cart. She ate the muffin and enjoying her tea since she can't have any coffee. 

Connor walked in when Ava was resting with her eyes shut. He noticed that she was drinking tea and looked exhausted. 

'No coffee?' He asked. 

'They ran out.' Ava kept her eyes shut. She was too tired to fight him now. 

Connor knew that she will be like that. He shook his head and exited the room. 

Not for long, it's time for the surgery. 

Ava quickly scrubbed and went in the OR. She didn't want to scrub with Connor. Ava used to love the small talks between them while scrubbing. They will tease each other and when they were dating, they would kiss before going in for good luck. Last but not least, don't forget the time that they share a really good memory in the scrub room. That room just has too many memories that Ava is afraid to touch. 

Connor arrived five minutes before the surgery starts. Honestly, he doesn't know how to face her in the surgery anymore. He knows that Ava is trying to avoid him, for this reason, they were always on separate or opposite shifts for the past two months. 

The surgery started in silent. The only communication they had were 'scaple' and 'clamp'. It's a long surgery, and one hour had passed since they have started. 

Ava's legs began to ache. She lifted her left foot up and accidentally kicked Connor who is right next to him. 

'Did I do something wrong, Dr Bekker?' Connor tried to break the dead silence in the room. 

'Clamp off.' Ava ignored his words. 

The room was silent again until they approaching the end of the surgery. They finished the repairs and ready for the last check. 

'Taylor, can I have some water, please?' Ava said to one of the nurses. After three hours without water or rest. She was a bit lightheaded and dehydrated. She didn't want to pass out and everyone will find out that she is pregnant.  

Nurse Taylor undo her mask a little bit and handed her the water with a straw. Ava reached for the straw with her mouth. 

Connor on the other hand, surprised. He never saw or heard Ava asks for water in surgery before. 

They almost finished closing before a wave of sickness hit Ava. She tried to hold it, but she failed. Ava ran out of the room and left everyone in shock. 

Connor ordered the resident to finish the last few stitches and followed Ava out.  

Ava didn't go far since the locker room is right outside the OR. When Connor found her, she was throwing up in the toilet.

'Ava, are you ok?'Connor gently patted her back.

'Yeah.' Ava sighed. She slowly stood up, rinsed her mouth and walked to the couch. 

Connor handed her a glass of warm water. 

'Thank you.' Ava took a sip. 'You should go back.' 

'I paged one of the on-call surgeons.' He said. 'And I am not leaving until you tell me what's wrong.' 

'I just ate a muffin during lunch, and it tasted weird, but I was too hungry to care.' She replied

'Ava, you need to look after yourself.' Connor looked her in the eyes.

'We are not doing this Connor.' She quickly turned her face away. 'We broke up, remember?'

Connor didn't say anything, the room went to an awkward silence until Ava stood up and left. Connor stared at her and he can tell something is definitely going on with Ava.