XLVII

a/n: a little shortie chapter!!!

****

"You've been a massive help my dear Miss Grindelwald," Voldemort says, petting the snake at his side. "What a wonderful coincidence that you happened upon our meeting today."

I swallow hard, "Yes and should you need me again, you know where to find me."

Narcissa smiles next to me, "You really ought to get going Everett, can't have anyone wondering where you went off to."

"Right, studies come first." Lucius mocks, his voice is thick with sarcasm. "Would you like our Bellatrix to assist you back to the vanishing cabinet?"

"No," I answer a little to quickly. "I think I'll be fine."

"Have a good day at school dear," Narcissa whispers, her eyes darting to the door, a subtle way of telling me, run.

I nod to the group, turning on my heel as my hand reaches for the knob. I twist it slowly and step back out to the alley, finally breathing again as it shuts quietly behind me.

I stand there for a moment, catching my breath and starting my journey back to the store. The door to Borgin and Burke's is still cracked open from when Bellatrix dragged me out, so I sneak in and close it lightly.

I make my way back to the corner where the vanishing cabinet stands tall, about to enter, when something catches my eye.

I tall case of shelves filled with jewelry looms to my right, each piece protected by a thick pane of glass. I study them all carefully, a few bracelets and a couple of earrings covered in cobwebs.

But then I see it, like a moth to a flame, I find it tucked away in the back corner, nearly hidden by a necklace. A ring nearly identical to mine and my aunt's.

My jaw falls open, a gasp escaping my lips as I slap my hand over my mouth. I instinctively turn around to make sure no one has heard me, but I'm still alone.

I remove the jewelry from my finger without looking, my gaze still locked on the shining moonstone on the shelves. I move closer to the side of the case where the ring resides as I lift mine to the glass.

They're exactly the same, mine slightly neater but other than that they mirror each other completely.

I shake my head in disbelief, slowly moving backwards as I stare at the band in my palm.

"I don't understand..." I whisper to myself, a tear rolling down my cheek as my Mothers image floods my mind.

My eyes dart up to the entrance of the store, voices growing louder as three shadows appear.

I quickly slip behind a curtain that swings behind the register, the front door bell jingling as Bellatrix's voice takes shape.

My eyes adjust to the darkness as I squint them tightly, still brimming with tears. I look at the ring in my hand once more, begging for it to give me answers.

Just when I think all hope is lost, I remember that the ring in my hand not only has a twin, but a triplet.

Maybe I couldn't talk to my mom, but I could talk to only other person who may know what this means.

I suck in a hard breath and before I can make up my mind, I apparate.

****