Locked In

Chapter Nine

Locked In

---

Kyle's POV

My eyes widen as I take in what Tanner said.

"WHAT?" I raise my hands up in the air.

"I'm surprised she hasn't told you yet."

"I just met her, like, less then a few days ago." He lifts his head up in understanding.

"Ah. Don't tell her I said that though. Her mother told me whilst I was in College." I nod slowly, trying my best not to keep my cool and not freak out.

"So . . . are you going to meet her?" I take a glance at the clock.

4:55pm. "Maybe around 6." I reply.

"Cool. I'll get dinner ready." He gets up and disappears into the kitchen.

My brother and I have a good sibling relationship. Ever since he went of to collage I've been talking to him about everything.

On Skype, Whatsapp, Facebook. You name it, we've done it. But he's had more of an attachment with the Melody's family then me.

I lived with my Aunt in the UK after my dad moved away for a job opening here. Now I moved here a few years later.

My background is fairly straightforward. My mum died after I was born. My brother went to Collage but is now back. My dad is almost always at work.

I close my eyes, my mind trailing back to the moment in the cafeteria.

FLASHBACK

I walk in and see Melody on the opposite side of the room. I walked up to her, I knew something wasn't right but I didn't push it further.

"Melody," I say. She smiles and nods. There was something different about her. Her picture, she wasn't her usual bubbly happy self. "Can I ask you something."

She slowly nods, smiling forcefully. "Yes?" She says, her voice isn't the same either. I brush it off and get To the reason I'm here.

I stand up on the table and reach my hand down to her.

She slowly shakes her head. "C'mon Melody!" I cheer. She reaches out for my hand and I grasp it.

Once she was safely on the table I wrap an arm around her waist. She seems a little shaken. Probably just scared she might slip, but I've got her.

"Excuse me! People of the cafeteria." People start I notice us and my smile widens. People start pointing and smiling when they notice us. I ignore it and turn to Melody.

"I would like to ask Melody Melendez," I turn to her and grin widely. She returns a small smile. "To be my date to the Masquerade Ball."

And thats when it all crashes down. The entire cafeteria to erupt in laughter. I look at her with a furrowed eyebrows, confused. The cafeteria was laughing and pointing at her.

Se falls down, and I wasn't quick enough to catch her.

She stands up, using the table as support, and grabs her bag and runs.

END OF FLASHBACK

I sigh thinking about how stupid I was not to notice then how weak she was. How embarrassed she must have been.

I take a glance a the clock. 5:30. Time to see Melody.

---

I knock on the door and her mum opens the door. "Afternoon Sarah. I was-" I was stopped as she grabs me by the arm and pulls me inside.