Chapter 14- The Second Dinner Service

Thursday, June 27th, 2013

I notice Christina head towards the dorms, and I know that Ramsay will be making his entrance soon. I check around the stations one last time to be sure everything looks as ready as it can be. Once I finish checking, I line up next to the stoves with the rest of the red team to await Chef Ramsay.

A few moments later, Christina returns with Red in tow. Red looks calmer now, but she still is embarrassed by all of the eyes on her. She rushes to the chef lineup and stands at the back.

Chef Ramsay emerges from his office and comes to the head of the kitchen.

"I hope you all are ready to perform well. After all, your fish is a big part of the menu tonight. Tonight is seafood night, so those of you that would be on meat station will instead be a second fish station, understood?"

"Yes, Chef!" we shout.

"Good, excellent. Well, let's get started then shall we?" he turns his back to us and motions for the maitre d'.

"Jean-Philippe, please open Hell's Kitchen for seafood night."

Jean-Philippe nods and heads towards the entrance of Hell's Kitchen.

The seats fill up once more, giving us yet another full house to feed.

I am on appetizers tonight with Kalyani. Our two fish stations are being handled by Gail, Bella, Cindy, and Taylor. Red and Gina are heading up the garnish station.

Ramsay approaches our kitchen's head. "Here we go, guys! First ticket in, appetizers. Two risotto, one scallop," his assertive voice echoes through the kitchen.

"Yes, Chef!" we respond, and immediately begin working on the ticket.

Being appetizers, the entire flow of the kitchen rests on Kalyani and I's shoulders. We each take to making risotto. As the risottos are nearly done cooking, I finish up the scallops, leaving my risotto next to Kalyani's.

Right as I finish searing the scallops perfectly, I hear Ramsay's exasperated voice.

"Oh come ON," he shouts. "These risottos are two completely different colors, Kalyani! I can't serve that at the same table! What were you thinking?"

I was too concentrated on getting the scallops exactly right that I didn't see Kalyani step away with the risottos! Cursing under my breath, I look up and lock eyes with Chef Ramsay, who is giving me a skeptical look.

"I would have thought you two could work better together than that. I expected much more." He not-so-delicately drops the pans down on the metal table at the head of the kitchen. Kalyani stands dumbfounded, still at the pass.

"Well, don't stand there like a buffoon. Combine the fucking things before they get cold! Honestly, good God..." Ramsay shakes his head, pressing his thumb and index finger into his temples.

Kalyani springs to life and immediately mixes the risottos. I bring up my scallops at the same time and set them next to Chef. He quickly makes eye contact with me as I set them down. There is an obvious incredulous air about him, but I see some hope regained as he touches the scallops and determines them good enough for plating.

After sending off the first appetizers, Ramsay calls out the next order.

"How long?" he asks, directing the question to our station.

"About eight minutes, Chef!" I shout back.

He nods then heads towards the boys' side.

"What are you fucking doing??" he shouts from the blue kitchen, then disappears behind the wall dividing the kitchens, likely to scold whoever has messed up.