Chapter 104- Need for Speed

Friday, July 19, 2013

The training course took forty-five minutes and by the end, I feel more confident in my ability to drive a car worth more than every car ever owned by my entire family going back a hundred years... OK maybe I'm still a bit anxious, but at least it won't be Gordon's personal Ferrari that I crash into a million pieces.

Unfortunately, we won't be allowed to race each other. The potential for property damage is too high, explains the instructor past Bella's loud "Aww man!" We will, however, be allowed to drive as fast as we can handle around the track, which is exciting enough...

Especially once we learn we'll be timed against each other, with the fastest time earning a faux-gold medal.

We're taken out towards the track and grouped under a metal-roofed area with large fans blowing cool air to combat the Vegas heat. The instructor directs our attention to the right, where a collection of supercars wait under similar metal roofs. Thanks to our training course, I can now identify most of the vehicles on display. Taylor giddily bounces in place and Bella's jaw drops as her eyes glue to a nearby blue Aston Martin.

"Pick your poison." The instructor's eyes gleam as they sweep over the fleet proudly.

Gordon steps beside me and wraps his arm around my shoulder. No one seems to care, but I still feel my cheeks flare as he leads me towards the Ferrari lineup.

"Now, you're welcome to drive any car you like but I'd like to request that you try out the Ferrari 458 Italia," he asks, coming to a stop in front of the hood of the car with his arm still around me.

"Isn't this the same Ferrari you have?" I ask, my eyes trailing across the shining pearlescent white paint job.

"Indeed it is. I want you to be comfortable driving it. I promise you, it isn't nearly as scary as you're thinking."

"Did you bring us here to get me to drive one of these?" I raise an eyebrow playfully.

"Truly, I was going to take you all here anyway. But it seemed like too perfect of an opportunity to get my girlfriend behind the wheel. You'll love it, darling. I promise," he whispers.

"So, have we made a decision?" The voice of the instructor approaches us from behind, far enough away that he would have missed Gordon's whispered words. Gordon takes his arm from around me, to my mixed relief and dismay, and looks to me for my answer.

"Yes, I'd love to try this one out." I indicate the car in front of us.

Gordon smiles before heading towards Taylor, nodding as she gestures excitedly at the interior of a sleek yellow Lamborghini.

"Excellent, since you picked first would you like to go first?"

"I-" after a glance at everyone else, I swallow my fears. "Sure."

"I'll be right back with the keys." The man turns on his heel and heads towards the main building.

While I wait for him, I amble over to Abel. He's standing near a glistening red Mustang with a contemplative look.

"Hey," I nudge his arm with my shoulder with a smile. "What are you thinking about?"

He turns his contemplative look to me and smiles gently. "I don't have a license."

"Huh? Why not?"

"Never needed one. I moved around too much to have a reason to buy a car, so I either biked, carpooled, or lived close enough to where I was studying to not have to drive. I suppose I'll have to sit this one out."