Chapter 31- Foreign Cuisine Head to Head Part 2/2

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013

There is a glint in Chef Ramsay's eye that tells me he's got something up his sleeve.

"I hope you all made something amazing because I'm not the only one who's going to be judging your dishes today." Ramsay smiles widely.

Yep, there it is!

Gordon looks to the door. "Please welcome this renown chef with one of the longest-running cooking shows in all of Asia, Chef Sanjeev Kapoor!"

We all clap along with Chef Ramsay as Chef Kapoor enters Hell's Kitchen, waving at us before taking his place aside Ramsay.

"Our second chef who will be helping me judge your dishes is one of the most well-known chefs in the world. He has authored fourteen different cookbooks and is the possessor of two Michelin stars. Please join me in welcoming Chef Charlie Trotter!"

Gina squeals when Charlie steps inside. We clap once more as Chef Trotter slides into the chair next to Chef Kapoor. I know these Chefs and have studied some of their works, but I'd never considered any of them as my mentor in the way I do Ramsay. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be more starstruck right now like a few of my teammates. Kalyani is beaming at Chef Kapoor.

"Now, both chefs are incredibly skilled with all sorts of food, so we'll be sampling your dishes and judging them on three factors: taste, presentation, and if the dish embodies your chosen country or not. Each chef will pick their favorite dish of the two and whichever team has more winning dishes will win the challenge." His eyes scan us. "Let's see Indonesia!"

Dave and Bella walk their dishes up. Chef Ramsay gestures to Dave's dish.

"What have you made for us, Dave?"

Dave pushes his plate forward and Chef Kapoor inspects it closely.

"Chefs, today I've made an oxtail soup with chili rice on the side. I haven't studied much Indonesian food but when I saw that oxtail I knew what I had to do." He puts his hands on his hips as he waits, leaning forward.

Each chef tries the dish, then Ramsay addresses Chef Trotter.

"Charlie, what do you think?"

Chef Charlie Trotter isn't much older than Chef Ramsay but shows his age much more, his hair flecked with grey. He pushes his glasses up further on his nose before he speaks.

"The soup was nice. I tasted a hint of lemongrass, which is a traditional Indonesian ingredient. Overall quite nice."

Ramsay turns to the Chef directly next to him.

"What did you think, Chef Kapoor?"

"The meat was well cooked and the nutmeg in the soup helped to cover some of the gamey taste. Well done." He nods then watches Chef Ramsay.

"I thought it was quite good. The rice was a little under-cooked but the chili flavor on top blended well with the flavors of the soup. Right. Bella, what have you made for us?"

Bella pushes her plate forward towards the Chefs.

"Today I've made a fried duck meal with Indonesian fried rice on the side." She curtsies as she steps back, eliciting a grin from Chef Trotter.

After each chef tries the meal, Ramsay asks Charlie for his opinion.

"I always love a fried duck, and that's definitely an Indonesian recipe, but it feels like your spices fell flat in both the rice and the duck itself. Indonesians aren't afraid to put flavor in their food."

Chef Kapoor nods.

"Indeed your problem was lack of flavor. You did well cooking the duck, though."