Chapter 120- Judging Part 2/2

Sunday, July 21st, 2013

"If (Y/N) gets this last point, it's over," Gordon says, smiling as he looks my way. I feel giddy as Chef Scott brings out our filets to the table. With such a glowing rating of my last meat dish, there is no way I won't knock this out of the park.

"OK, to judge the filets, I've invited someone very special. Someone that our competing Chefs have had the honor of meeting before. Please join me in welcoming Wolfgang Puck!" Gordon claps and we join in, eagerly watching as the curtain draws back and Wolfgang makes his way to the stage. The crowd goes wild as he shakes our hands with a wide grin.

"Excited to be here, Chef Ramsay. And it's lovely to see your two stars again. Can't wait to taste what they've made," he says, bouncing on his toes in the same way Gordon does occasionally. Maybe it's a high-energy Chef thing?

Gordon lays out Abel's filet in front of Wolfgang and gestures for Abel to explain his dish.

"Chef, I wanted to do something elegant that would stand on its own. In fact, your dish you made for us inspired me when we visited CUT. I've a beautiful Waygu filet, seasoned only with salt and pepper, alongside potato gratin with plenty of Västerbotten cheese."

Waygu? Oh my goodness, I'd already set my mind on a filet mignon and now I'm having to face off against the most delectable meat I'd ever eaten. Nervousness floods my limbs and my fingertips tingle as I watch Wolfgang take a bite.

He pushes the plate to Gordon and steeples his fingertips, looking at Abel over his hands.

"Well, I inspired that, you say?" He asks.

"Indeed. It was my first time preparing Waygu, but I hope it was up to your standards," Abel says, keeping eye contact with the famous Chef.

"And tell me of this, er." He waves at the potato gratin. "What did you call the cheese you'd put in the potatoes?"

"It's Västerbotten cheese. Very popular in Sweden."

"Well, I thought it all went impeccably well together. And I need to order a round of that cheese to experiment with," he says, watching as Gordon takes a bite.

"Wow." Gordon raises his eyebrows and takes a second bite. Maybe this next round isn't as in-the-bag as I'd thought...

Gordon takes my plate and sets it in front of Wolfgang, giving me an encouraging nod. "Go on, tell Chef Puck what you've made for him," Gordon urges.

"Chef Puck, I have for you today a filet mignon with Portobello mushroom, mascarpone, and sherry wine sauce." I step back from presenting and clear my throat as silently as I can while I watch him take a bite.

"There is a burst of flavor that delights the senses, truly," Wolfgang starts, pointing his fork at the plate, "and I love the presentation. Gordon, try this." He passes the plate to Gordon, who takes a bite and nods in approval.

"Both were excellent, Chef. But you must decide–(Y/N) or Abel?"

Wolfgang purses his lips in contemplating, cocking his head to the side in deep thought.

"Your Chefs do not make this easy," Wolfgang says, letting out a sigh. "I think I have an answer."

"Yes?" Gordon asks, leaning in.

"I... it has to be–I'm sorry–Abel. His Waygu was entirely too perfect for me to think of anything else, even though (Y/N)'s filet was incredible, I always thought back to Abel's dish." Wolfgang shrugs, giving me a pitiful glance before stepping back. "You both have done excellent work, and Gordon is lucky to have both of you under his wing."