1

Alexia's POV

Sniff.

Sniff.

Cough.

This was a daily routine for my mother. She threw her head back and I could see the tell tale sign of the powder on her nostrils.

I was hunched over in my little corner trying to be hidden from her view with my arms wrapped around my knees.

She sniffed so hard, the sound filled the otherwise silent room. I winced subconsciously as I scrutinized her.

The same wild brown hair..the same worn-out pants..the same old boot..the same pale skin.

I stared at the woman I called mother and the only thing I felt was disgust.

All of a sudden her gaze fell on me and I straightened.

"Get your ass over here." she ordered in a raspy voice.

I willed myself to move but my limbs were frozen on their own accord.

"Do not make me repeat myself, bitch." She spat.

Enough being said, I slowly rose to my feet and moved closer to her hesitantly.

She eyed me with distaste as she threw crisp dollar bills at me.

"Go get me a new pack of cigarettes, I'm all out.''

I nodded, crouching to pick up the money from the floor.

The moment she had cash to spare, the first thing that'd come to her head was buying weed, cigars, drugs. You name it.

She told me I had to get a job soon and I was excited...at least that was an opportunity for me to be away from this hell hole for some time.

At school, I was a loner. No friends to hang out with, nowhere to go, but I liked it that way. I think.

I'm not ashamed to say I steal from her, the times she'd come home high and wasted, there'd always be cash in her pockets she wouldn't remember having.

I had been saving up for my college funds and counting the days till my eighteenth birthday when I can take off and never look back.

I didn't realise I was lost in my thoughts and still crouching till she kicked me in the ribs and I fell on my back.

I clutched my sides painfully, shutting my eyes from the pain.

My eyes snapped open when she pulled me up by my hair and yelled in my face.

"What the fuck are you daydreaming about?!"

"Nothing." I whispered.

"It better be nothing." she said, shoving me away from her."Now go up to your stupid room and put on a goddamned sweater or something." she finished, dismissing me.

It's not what you might be thinking..no she doesn't care, she just wants me to wear one to cover up the bruises she gave me.

I got up slowly and walked towards the stairs. With every step I took, I winced.

I got to my room and came to a stop in front of my mirror, studying my appearance.

Puffy hazel eyes.

Long brown hair.

Full lips--Unhappy--I looked unhappy.

I shook my head and absently grabbed my hoodie, tugging it on and slipping my feet into my worn out sneakers. I walked down the stairs with my hands in my pockets and passed by her without a glance.