30.

Alexia's POV.

We got back an hour ago from the mall and even though I tried to stop Kayden from buying a lot of clothes and shoes for me, he still did. Now I was sitting on the couch and staring at them in disbelief.

I couldn't help feeling like a charity case.

Kayden left about ten minutes ago, he said he had to rush home and that he'd be back soon.

I sighed as I changed into my new pyjamas. I turned on the t.v and was getting ready to get cozy enough when the doorbell rang.

I stared at the door curiously. Did he forget something?

I opened the door and blinked in surprise when I saw Audrey. Audrey?

"Audrey?" I blinked.

She looked...different. She was wearing a worn out hoodie and huge dark sunglasses. I glanced down at her feet and I blinked rapidly when I saw her mismatched shoes.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She asked, straining her neck to look behind me.

Even her voice sounded hoarse.

Man, what happened to her?

Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I saw her at school.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, folding my arms.

"Just forget about it, where's Kayden?" She asked, taking off her sunglasses.

Her left eye was almost swollen shut and I gasped as I pulled her in quickly, locking the door behind us.

"Audrey, are you okay?" I asked, running my gaze over her.

Her eyes welled up with tears and she bit her lip to stop them from falling as she pulled off the hoodie cap, revealing her dirty hair.

"Why do you care?" She sniffled.

"Just answer me, are you okay?" I repeated, looking into her eyes.

"Do I look okay?" She asked, rolling her eyes and slapping my hands away.

Now that's the Audrey I'm used to.

"Okay, do you wanna talk about it?" I asked, pulling her towards the couch and forcing her to sit on it as I also sat beside her.

"I just need to see Kayden." She said, finally looking at me and she let out a tiny gasp.

Okay, I didn't know my face still looked that bad.

"What happened to you?" She whispered, pointing at my face.

"I'm not saying anything till you do." I replied pointedly.

She sighed and leaned back, biting her lips nervously.

"Fine." She muttered.

"Who did this to you?" I asked, without looking at her.

"My step dad." She mumbled.

I stiffened as I turned to look at her, meeting her steady gaze.

She was trying to gauge my reaction and I kept my face blank as I stared back at her.

"And Kayden knows about this?"

"Yeah..I told him. That's the reason he stayed with me those times before he knew you. I knew he stayed out of pity but I was past caring. I just needed someone to..love me." Her voice broke as she looked away.

"What about your mum?"

"She doesn't know. She still thinks he's the perfect husband." She scoffed.

"So she didn't notice your bruised up face?" I asked in disbelief.