Trailer Times

The next morning, Caleb showed up at Declan's trailer at 8 am.

Cameron opened the door.

"Hey Caleb, What can I do you for?" He smiled, coffee in hand.

"I'm just here for Declan" He replied.

"Come on in" Cam stepped aside and Caleb climbed up into the trailer.

Caleb took a moment to process his surroundings.

"Damn this is nice. And cool? How'd you guys get air conditioning in here with the power out?" He asked inquisitively.

"Declan" Cameron shrugged, "You can sit anywhere. Bathroom's back through there. She'll be out in a few minutes. I'll let her know you're here" He smiled and tapped the wall as he went up the stairs.

Caleb looked around him in awe. The first floor of her trailer was quite open, most of it was a lounge space with a walkway through the middle, but there was a wider and narrower side on each. On the narrower side was a gray chalkboard table with notes and drawings scribbled all over it with a gray U-shaped booth that went 3/4 around the table—along the black-tinted windows at the edge of the space and along the sides of the table until the walkway. Further along the trailer as he passed the table was a monochromatic gray kitchenette with all the normal stuff: fridge, oven, microwave, sink, and a cabinet or two. At the end of the hallway—as promised—was a bathroom. He turned around and on the other side of the walkway—opposite the kitchenette—was what seemed to be a small extra bedroom; he would've guessed Cam's but it looked rather unused. As he made his way back towards the front, he saw a U-shaped sectional sofa, that rested against a wall of the bedroom, that curled in at the walkway and the windows, it faced the flatscreen TV on the opposite wall, close to the door. Between the TV and the couch were multiple beanbag chairs. Underneath the TV was a case of movies. When Caleb looked at them, he saw they were all classic, award-winning dramas, horror films, and a choice few musicals. He chuckled at the selection as Cam came back downstairs.

"You can go up" He smiled at Caleb as he sank down into a beanbag chair and went back to his computer.

"Sweet. Thanks!" Caleb smiled back and hopped up the stairs.

Her room consisted of almost the entirety of the second floor, although it only covered half the length.

And it was chaotic.

There were photographs printed everywhere and sketches taped up on the walls randomly and askew. A bass guitar stood on a stand in the corner by her unmade bed, sheet music splayed out among the sheets. There were a few mats on the far end below a pull up bar with some other fitness equipment. Her desk was piled with things: papers, more pictures and sketches, jewelry, letters, small animal figurines, a map, and many many other things. She came out of a bathroom: her hair wet, wearing a pair of red leggings under a very oversized black The Killers T-shirt that fell halfway to her knees, her hair up in a red scrunchie.

"Hey" She nodded, "Sorry about the mess" She mumbled, putting her watch back on and trying to find her shoes.

"No problem. Looking for these?" He smirked as he pulled out her black combat boots from under the desk.

"Thanks" She chuckled at herself as she pulled them on.

"So what's on the docket for today?" Caleb questioned, leaning back on the desk as he waited.

"Well it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, now would it?" She arched an eyebrow at him.

"Fine fineeee" He chuckled, "You know I grew up in LA too"

"Really? Where?" She asked curiously.

"More in the uh..."

"Nicer part?" She teased him.

"You could say" Caleb shrugged.

"Well you should show us some of your places too" Declan replied.

"I've been trying to think of some without power. It's kinda hard" He admitted, frowning.

"Tell me about it" She joked as she stood, "Alright. Let's go, we're late" She smirked

"Your fault!" Caleb defended.

"Oh so I'm to blame now? You showed up late!" Declan fired back.

"But you weren't even ready!" Caleb laughed.

"She never is!" Cameron chimed in as they got downstairs.

"You're the worst best friend ever" Declan rolled her eyes.

"You love me" Cameron grinned.

"I do" She smiled and went over to kiss his cheek. "You sure you don't wanna come?" She asked.

"You have no idea how funny it is to hear you say those words" Cameron ignored her invitation and opted for making fun of her instead, a smirk growing in his face. A rather common occurrence.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm antisocial, I get it!" She laughed and went to smack his head but he caught her hand and tackled her onto the beanbags. Caleb laughed at them.

"Cameron! I'm late!" She tossed him onto the sofa.

"Run then honey!" Cam stuck his tongue out at her. She lunged at him but he easily avoided her.

For the first time, Caleb was seeing Declan act like a normal teenager. Funny and mischievous and smart and strong. He realized over the span of two moments that Declan was actually an incredible person, and an incredible artist. And that he was really glad he was going to get the chance to know her, in a real way.

"Next time" She glared at Cam, pulling Caleb out of his head. "Bye!" And she took Caleb's hand and ran them out of the trailer.

They were both breathless as she let go and they returned to moving at a normal pace.

"So you and Cam?" Caleb asked once he had caught his breath, "There anything going on there?"

Declan started laughing again.

"Oh my god! No! Yeah geez no, he's a bit older, plus we'd kill each other. But he's been there for me like a brother since the beginning. He's my best friend in the whole world" She nodded.

"Aw. That's actually really sweet" He smiled.

"Eh" She shrugged but was smiling slightly.

"How did you guys meet?" Caleb asked.

"We danced together, actually" Declan nodded.

"Wait what? Really?! That's so cool!" Caleb smiled, then added, "Break Out' was a seriously good movie"

'Break Out' was one of Declan's first big roles. She played a young latina bgirl on the rise in a primarily black and Asian dance form who was rejected from every circle in the community until she eventually got adopted into the best-of-the-best all-male troupe and competes in and wins a national champion title.

"Thanks. It was a good time" She smirked.

"Do you still ever see them? The cast I mean?" Caleb asked.

"Every month" She nodded, "We go to the Hollows and do jams and shit just for fun"

"Dudeeeee I would killllllll to see that!" Caleb laughed.

Finally they reached the rest of the group.

"You're late!" Sadie exclaimed.

"Her fault" Caleb put his hands up. Declan glared at him and then rolled her eyes.

"You guys ready?" Declan spoke to the group.

"So ready" Millie smiled and the others began grinning too.

"Allons-y!" Noah called excitedly and they all laughed and started their day.