The Last Five Days

Over the next five days, a few things happened.

The first major incident occurred on the second night.

Finn was in Declan's room, nodding off, when he decided to get up to stretch his legs for a moment, letting go of her hand and heading out into the hallway. As he walked, he thought about his family back at the hotel, the cast across an ocean, Maya and Victor asleep in Cam's room, and Dizzy passed out in the waiting room. They got an influx of messages everyday; from fans to family to friends to celebrities. Everyone loved them. Everyone wanted them to get better. And yet, despite so many people rooting for them, Cameron and Declan got worse everyday.

When Finn returned to the room, he thought he was imagining things, but she was in a completely different position, her chest rising and falling rapidly.

Finn rubbed his eyes just to make sure, but when he opened them again, sure enough, she was still in a different position than he left her, breathing like she couldn't get enough air. The doctors said she might twitch a finger... but shift positions entirely, panic? What did that mean?

"Declan?! What's going on?!" He rushed over and put a hand on her arm.

She didn't react, just kept breathing like something was wrong.

"Declan, I'm right here! It's okay, everything's okay, I'm right here" He tried reassuring her, taking her hand in his own.

"Nurse!" He called out, worry washing over him very suddenly. Her body started tensing up and seizing, like she was being shocked out something. "Help!"

A nurse ran into the room and upped her sedative dose.

Slowly, she returned to normal. Finn looked to the woman.

"What just happened?" He breathed.

"These things happen sometimes.... the nature of a coma is... unpredictable. It's just how these things are. She's going through things, we just don't know what" She frowned sympathetically at him before leaving them alone again.

"Hey, I'm right here... okay, Declan? I'm right here" He mumbled and laid down next to her. "Anytime you wake up... I'll be right here"

The next morning, Finn woke up with Declan curled into him.

"Declan.....? Are you awake?" He whispered skeptically.

There was no response but her steady breathing. He checked the monitors around them. Still comatose.

"What is going on?" He huffed to the empty room in tired confusion.

He slowly got up, making sure to be gentle with the girl beside him, and headed into the waiting area, where Dizzy was drinking coffee and reading a book next to Maya and Cameron's mother. Victor was talking in a hushed voice to a doctor outside Cam's room.

"Everything okay?" Finn mumbled sleepily.

"Morning" Dizzy greeted him, ignoring the question. Maya sighed and Libby turned to him.

"Cameron had another episode last night. At first we thought it was progress, but then it got worse than the others have ever been" She sighed.

Cam had been dipping into critical condition every so often: machines beeping, nurses running around. There was no explanation, but Maya insisted it was the 'shared life force'. She kept saying that Declan was going to be better soon, she could feel it. When Finn would return the gesture, she didn't seem convinced.

"He's gonna be fine" Finn assured Libby with a hand on her shoulder.

"I hope so" She sighed and put her hand over his.