Fifty-Three

By the time Nathaniel got out of the bathroom after his mini-mental breakdown over his boyfriend's new assistant, Valentino had finished up his work and had returned to his office. Angela was already there, her lovely smile permanently stuck on her face, ready to go over Valentino's schedule for the day.

"Welcome back, sir," she greeted warmly, pulling out his chair for him. Valentino sat down, clearing his throat, motioning for her to go on. "Today you have a meeting with your friend, Romeo, at 3 in the afternoon. After that, you'll need to go over some documents with me, call your mother, and then come back to the company to review the new sales. Finally, you have another meeting with a businessman that has an offer for our company."

She looked at him for approval. Valentino was in deep thought. He didn't have much time until 3. After that, he was packed with duties.

"Where's Nathaniel?" Angela hummed in response, looking around, feigning innocence. She looked like an angel, cue the name "Angela," but she was anything but that.

"I don't know, sir. I think he left after our meeting. I haven't seen him for a while." Valentino asked about the whereabouts of Eren. "I haven't seen him either. He's probably slacking off, you know. He hasn't been working hard; I could see that during my time with Sa- Nathaniel. He wasn't paying attention to him or keeping him company."

Valentino furrowed his eyebrows, clenching his jaw. He had been pleased with Eren's dedication to his job, but hearing these comments coming from Angela made him doubt the innocent boy now.

"I haven't heard anything like these comments for Eren before. I always hear and see positive things about him." Valentino searched her, trying to see if she was lying or not. He spoke coldly and in a deep voice, not wanting to get close to Angela, not after their scandal together. Besides, he felt that she was acting too warm and too comfortable around him anyways.

"I'm sure, sir. I wouldn't lie."

After that, Nathaniel barged in without knocking, his eyes infuriated and almost bloodshot. Eren followed after him, resembling a little bunny, lost and very, very innocent. Fiddling with his fingers and keeping his head down, he peeked up at the fight that was only beginning to erupt.

"Valentino," the baby spoke with the most profound and angriest voice he could muster. He wasn't that intimidating, almost looking and acting like a kitten, as Valentino liked to tease him about, but he was enraged at the woman standing beside his man.

"You should be more aware of your surroundings. You're a mafia for god's sake! You just murdered a man downstairs for stealing your goodies, and you let a bitchy witch enter your life, mess with your boyfriend, and now, being the smart boy he is, he needs to fucking tell you that Angela is no angel!"

Valentino blinked slowly, surprised at Nathaniel's dramatic objection to Angela working here. The woman's eyes widened. She hadn't thought that he would snitch. She assumed that he was too quiet and shy, even to speak up. So, she did what she could do best: mask her genuine hatred and begin to cry pitifully.

"I-I don't k-know why you would s-say such AWFUL things, Samuel!" Nathaniel rolled his eyes, smacking his forehead in shame. "She calls me 'Samuel' for God's sake! Eren was there the whole time. She told me horrible things, Valentino! She made fun of my job, including the fact that we didn't have sex yet... She accused me of pretending to love you to get into your pants and collect money."

Nathaniel jeered, his eyes filled with hot tears, "As if you're my fucking sugar daddy, am I right?" Valentino was going to strike, his veins popping out. He didn't remember the last time he was so angry. Oh, that's right. When he was downstairs wounding the worthless old guy, making him yearn death rather than go through the hell Valentino brought upon him. But Nathaniel had more to say.

"She also told me that you both did sexual activities together..." Valentino didn't hear the rest. As surprised as he was with Nathaniel speaking so confidently and angrily, he was also feeling the same hatred towards his new assistant.

He suddenly grabbed Angela by her curls, slamming her to the wall, breathing deeply but with difficulty. His hands itched to just shoot her brains out. Angela screamed, her pain burning in agony, her scalp hurting from the intensity of his grip on her hair.

"I never should've let you inside of this place, not even for a second," the older chuckled demonically. Angela cried crocodile tears, pleading to be set free. "Eren," Valentino growled, making the smaller shake in fear that he too would be hurt. "Get Nathaniel away. I don't want him to see me like this."

Nathaniel was watching with wide eyes, not knowing that the mafia leader would get aggressive with a female worker. But it seemed that he had underestimated the man and his love for the younger.

"V-Val," he whimpered. Valentino had already hurt the woman to the point of bruises appearing on her body. He snapped his head to look at his baby, his eyes softening as they made eye contact. "D-Don't hurt her anymore. J-Just fire her and let her go."

"She needs to learn that there are consequences for hurting you, baby." Angela yelped as he gripped her hair again, tears pouring down her face. She was hiccuping hysterically, begging him to let her go. "N-NO!" She screamed as a response to the man she now feared with her entire being.

"L-Let her go or I will c-cry," Nathaniel whimpered, not wanting to see anyone hurt anymore. Valentino looked at the boy before letting the lady go, making her drop onto the floor. He crouched down, gripping her jaw harshly.

"If you dare set foot here again, I won't hesitate to kill you even if he doesn't want me to. Do you understand?" Angela nodded, scrambling to get up and fleeing the building, not looking back and even taking the stairs to get out as quickly as possible.

Nathaniel pouted at the older, Eren traumatized and scarred for life, hugging himself for emotional support. Nathaniel walked over to him and made grabby hands, wanting to be picked up.

"Take me home?"

Valentino sat down, not picking him up but letting himself breathe for a minute. "I can't. I have a hectic day today, Nathaniel." The boy's smile fell. He was let down. But he understood that the older needed to work. "You can stay here, though." He perked up instantly, nodding, and jumping up and down in joy.

Valentino smiled before looking at Eren, who fiddled with his fingers again, a habit of his. "Eren," he spoke up, grabbing the attention of the smaller boy, who hummed in response and fear. "I don't need any more incidents like this happening in my company. You will be my new assistant. Not an outsider, not a stranger, but someone I can trust. You're truly a determined and dedicated worker, and you also took care of my baby while I was gone."

Eren's jaw dropped, his eyes wide and full of surprise. He was taken aback by the sudden change of position but was overjoyed. "T-Thank you, sir. Thank you so much! I won't let you down, I promise." And with that promise, Valentino dismissed him. Eren left, offering his new friend, Nathaniel, a smile.

"As for you," Valentino began, patting his lap. Nathaniel sat down without hesitation. "How did you know about me killing the guy downstairs? I told you that it was a rat problem, not a guy problem, did I?"

Nathaniel pouted, knitting his brows, "You underestimate my smartness, don't you? I'm not that stupid. You're a mafia leader, not a guy who deals with rats in their free time. Plus, I heard the screams." Valentino could only give him a sheepish look.

"You're not angry?" "I'd rather not think of it. I hope that you had a good reason to kill him." "He tried to steal from me after trying to rape my niece." Nathaniel gasped, his hand covering his mouth, "That's horrible! He's a revolting man!" "I know, baby."

Valentino checked the time. "Baby, I need to go. I'll try to visit you whenever I can. You have the day off from La Rose, I'll inform your boss. Okay? I'll be here around seven or eight." Nathaniel nodded, his mood turning sour almost instantly.

"Bye, kitten," the older said, kissing his lips quickly, winking at the flustered boy before exiting his office. He smirked, taking a left before hopping into the elevators.

He had something very special, something ethereal to buy.