Chapter sixteen

Sudan, Khartoum.

***

It wasn't the way she flinched whenever someone touched her hand, or how she bites her lip to stop the tears from falling that broke his heart but the mere feeling of not having her in the room even though she is present.

He watched as JamJam move away from her slowly giving way for the doctor to do his job.

She broke into sobs as she slumped on the couch watching with dread. "I..i, they broke her" she stammered.

He stood there for a long period of time while the doctors and nurse do their thing. walking up and down setting the machines behind her.

When he couldn't handle it, the sight of Aamirah laying on the bed almost lifeless and JamJam's piercing cry, he left.

He walked out of the crowded hospital. Somehow, he found himself on the sidewalk. Walking admist people with destination, while he walked with no planned destination.

When his phone rang, he got a grip of himself and answered the call. "So your bailing out? Last minute?"

He furrowed his eyebrows confused and when he recalled that he is suppose to be on a flight home, he exhaled deeply.

"Something urgent came up"

She paused and Khaleel knew she is hesitant to say something so he did the honor to ask if something was wrong.

"Urm, i, i know this is out of the blue but.."

"Batool" he called warningly.

"Are we fine?"

He halt immediately while trying to calm his racing heart. The last time they were not fine Batool was drowning in her world. That time Khadi gave her the biggest shock/surprise of her life, that time he almost lost his wife to whatsoever demons that were after her. dragging her, chaining her down with them.

"Of course we are. Ya Salam! Why will you ask me that?"

She exhaled sharply "I am sorry. lately you have been distant and your always giving me the work excuse, it's getting old"

A bitter feeling float in the depth of his stomach.

Was he that gone into Mimi's case?

This is just..

"I don't know why your letting me out on this but I pray you get through it"

He needed her to stop.

To stop being so sweet. So caring, even when has been detaching himself from their relationship unknowingly.

"Habibty.."

"Just.. Khaleel sort things out"

He can swear his heart skipped a beat. It's now Khaleel not habibiey or hubby or any words of love.

He messed up. Real bad!

"I promise, I will"

She hung up on him pissed and he knows it will take a lot to fix them.

***

Kabeer stirred the coffee before handing the mug to his wrecked looking friend. "So what did I miss?" He asked leaning on the kitchen counter facing Khaleel who was seating on the high stool chair.

"Not much" he shrugged taking a sip. "We are still awaiting the test results"

"JamJam has been on my neck through out my two days trip to South Africa.." He chuckled.

"Man you got yourself a very sensitive and emotional one. Someone will think she is in Aamirah's position"

Kabeer laughed "She is just so worried. Have you met her yet?"

he took a longer sip of his coffee, hoping Kabeer will drop the topic but he didn't instead he looked at him with big saucer eyes.

"No. I can't"

Kabeer studied him for a while before nodding his head slowly as if studying him.

"what?!" He questioned wondering the jungle thoughts jumbling in his head.

"Truth or not?"

He gulped down the remaining of his coffee before rinsing the cup. He is not reading for Kabeer's truth or not theories. not now!

"Okay then, I won't say it. You don't want to hear it, that's fine with me but sooner or later you will come to terms with it and trust me it will come crashing hard"

This time he changed the topic to a much more lighter one and Kabeer let it slide.

***

The day he finally summoned the courage to go to the hospital and meet Aamirah, the doctor came bearing shocking, heart crunching news. Khaleel almost lost his balance when the doctor explained the test results with pity.

He gripped the door knob tightly, exhaled deeply before pushing the door open and found her laying down with a plain expression on her face.

she didn't even turn to see who is at the door or reply his salaam rather a lone tear escaped her eyes and then they came flooding. his heart broke at the sight of her

"Aamirah"

She clenched her eyes shut dismissing him but he is here to stay. He is here to help her grief through her pain, somehow.. Anyhow even though he doesn't know how or what to say. He wants to be there for her! Every step of the way.

"Faa'inna ma'al usri yusrah. Allah does not burden a soul upon which it cannot bear"

She shivered wishing he will take the hint that he is not welcome.

She can't face him or anyone else for that matter.. Not even if the person doesn't know what happened to her. She can't do this.

"I.. I am sorry, th-"

"Get out!" She cut him off "Please just leave me alone. You can't help me, you can't make me feel better" this time she yelled so loud.

"I want to help you"

"You can't help me Khaleel. You can not fix everything. I am not one of your little NGO product.. I am not one of those"

"Your not" your much more than that..

"I can't handle this, I can't handle being in the same room with you. Please leave me alone"

he could feel the pain and sincerity in her voice so with one last glance at her, he walked away.

On getting home, he met Myra and Jameelah setting the table for dinner while aunty Kulthum was watching Al-Jazeera. they must have noticed the worried look on his face or maybe he said something so unlike him but they came rushing.

"Is she okay?" That was Jameelah as she gripped on her mother's hand for support.

"They.." His throat felt dry. Ya salaam. How is he suppose to say this? Or explain to them the gravity of the situation Aamirah is in.

"They raped her"

He didn't know if he is the one crying or Jameelah but this time, not even Ya Maamah's words of encouragement or Batool's sweet talk, if they are on good terms will save him or make him feel less guilty.

This time, It's all on him.

***
Your theory on this chapter?💔

My heart aches for Mimie..

sending love to Batool and Khaleel's relationship..hang it there. Stay still. Mend back. It will be fine!

Maybe😏

LOL!!

Vote, comment and share