Chapter twenty-eight

Nigeria, Abuja.

On their second night, Aamirah had told him bits and pieces of her life. Although Khaleel could not get the whole story, he managed to comprehend somethings she had blurted in between tears and hiccups. That night, around two am, she finally went to sleep with a swollen, tear dried face. Khaleel got out of bed feeling shaken up about what she had been through. He just couldn't get himself to sleep after what he heard so he walked to the living room with his laptop placed on his lap.

He took a deep breath opening a new folder, slowly he wrote, Piece number one. It pains him to do this, write down Aamirah's story but that's the only way he can get the full picture. Aamirah barely makes it through one part without shaking vibrantly and crying. At one point she almost fainted so he asked her to stop.

Post traumatic stress disorder. The doctor had said it once.

Khaleel felt the twinge in his eyes. His muscles feels limb. Shaken up. Tired. He managed to write down under the file what Aamirah had told him.

He started by the first one,

Ashraf, elder brother, (dead)

Aamirah (alive) broken into billion pieces.

Amina (disappeared) mystery.

Rapist, (...)

His hand shook, he couldn't bring himself to write down her rapist title. How could he? It is absolutely disheartening and disturbing. He saved the file and shut down the laptop and laid on the couch defeated. All the memories he had buried deep within him came rushing. Days like this, when he is too exhausted he doesn't bother trying to stop himself from thinking rather he drowns himself in those bad, painful memories.

He remembers Khadi, oh Ya Rabbi he remembers Khadi. Ya Khadi. Batool's Ya Khadi. He can remember her last days, all the things with Hassan. He remembers seeing himself, all torn apart because of Mama's death. How his mistake led to Batool's misery. Batool's downfall...

Ya Rabeel Samawaati Waal'ard Aard.

He remembers everything.

Khaleel couldn't sleep. Not after all the memory digging he has been doing so he got up and searched for his phone. He needs to talk to someone. Someone that was there when it all happened. He had almost turned to Batool for help but decided against it. She hates talking about it and she has certainly had her own share to deal with. When his phone showed two-fourty three am, he discarded Ya Maamah's number. Ya Allah. He will get her worked up for no reason. Except this is a reason, a big reason. Bigger than everything.

It took everything in him not to call anyone for help so he got back in bed beside a sleeping Aamirah and tried concentrating on her. No one else but her. His Aamirah.

***

Khaleel knows he needs to get back to work. He has been away for so long so he checked in on the branch in Sudan before calling his aunt and talking to her. She has asked so much about everything and at one point she asked when he is coming back. Khaleel didn't reply. Going back to Sudan? That's a big one. He didn't think about that much. Being back in Nigeria makes him so happy. This way he is with his wife and daughter, he gets to see his sisters and be here for them, he can visit Baba anytime and listen to his stories about his late mother, he has Aamirah.. a lot is going on here and going back is the last thing on his mind. He discarded that asking about Myra and Jameelah.

"They are all fine. We really miss you Khaleel. How is Aamirah?"

"She is fine Aunty Kulthum. Inshallah I'll get her to call you later.."