Chapter forty-five

Nigeria, Abuja.

***

In the memory, Aamirah is back in Sudan, in her original loving home sitting in her room and doing her assignments. Ya Ashraf has gone out, as usual to hang out with his friends while Amina is sleeping on the bed.

Suddenly, she heard the loud noises. Her heart is beating wildly against her chest, her hands are sweaty making her to jump up and move towards the loud sounds. She peeped through the door catching a glimpse of her mother and father exchanging words in the living room.

Aamirah has never seen this.

They have always been so in love and soft towards one another what could have prompt Mama to yell on the top of her lungs to her husband? Aamirah stayed by the door watching her parents argue.

She had prayed for Ya Ashraf to come home, maybe he will know what to do or how to intervene. She is completely clueless and shook. Until her father pushed Mama away causing her to fall on the floor. Aamirah gasped loudly, she started crying, instantly.

"Baba, sorry. Baba I am sorry. Please don't hit her!" She cried running to her mother.

"Subhanalilah, Aamirah? What are you doing here? Go back to your room!" Her father yelled.

"But.. baba sorry. Sorry" she stammered crying hard.

"It's okay Mimi na.. I'm fine. Go and stay with Amina" her mother comforted her sending her away to the room but the yelling never stopped. Weeks after, Baba had to leave the house for sometime.

Aamirah has never seen her father act that way. She was frightened to death, especially when her mother ushered her to pack her bags quickly. Even Ya Ashraf was asked to pack all his clothes in a big travelling bag.

Clueless as to what is going on, Aamirah and Ashraf obeyed their mother. They packed all their clothes and moved it to the living room.

"Mama, where are we going?" Aamirah asked confused.

"Nigeria" she answered briefly dressing Amina up.

"Nigeria? Where is that?"

Ashraf sighed deeply, "Oh! Mimi your so dumb! It's a country"

"Ya Ashraf stop calling me dumb!" She whined crossing her hands across her chest. "What are we doing there in Nigeria?"

"It's our home.. we are going back home" her mother answered. Before Aamirah could ask more questions about their impromptu trip, Baba walked inside the house. He glanced at the bags and his wife's nervous expression.

"What is this nonsense?!" He yelled making Amina to cry, frightened.

"Baba.. we are going to Nigeria!" Aamirah answered before her mother could.

"Nigeria?" He asked, "No one is going anywhere! Get back inside!"

Then, it happened so fast. One minute she is excited to go to Nigeria, her supposed home and the other her parents are fighting. Yelling on the top of her lungs. Screeching so hard, Amina is crying scared.

"I divorce you UmmulKhairi, leave my house, immediately!" Baba had stated.

"Alhamdulilah!" Mama exclaimed carrying Amina in her arms. "Thank you for showing me your true colors. Aamirah, Ashraf, carry your bags let's go!"

"I don't remember asking the kids to leave. I mean you, should go! Alone"

That is the only thing Aamirah heard, she stared crying immediately falling to the ground. "Mama! Don't leave me, Mama"