Chapter twenty-three

Nigeria, Abuja.

Around six o'clock in the morning, when Khaleel hailed a cab and went back home, he met Batool in their room crying hysterically laying on the bed. When he locked the door behind him, all hell broke lose. She is on full attack mode as she sat up and glared at him viciously with murderous eyes.

"A Baby Khaleel? Baby?! Really?! Innalilahi wa'ina ilayhi rajiun"

He can feel the stress rolling on his shoulders, his eyes begging for sleep but he can't, not with Aamirah in the hospital and Batool breathing down his neck.

"After everything we've been through together! Ya Allah! Ya Rahman! You know the hell I went through to be here with you. You know how hard I worked for our relationship to work out, you know everything we had to go through just for this? I don't deserve this Khaleel..." She cried out burying her swollen face in her hand.

"Is this because.." she gasped looking up at him through her wet eyelashes, "because of my condition, because.."

"Fateemah Please!" He caught her midway sitting on the bed opposite her. "I love you no matter what, I promise"

"This is not love Khaleel.."

The moment his finger brushed her hand she flinched moving away immediately. They stayed in silent. Her crying into her hands until she could no longer take it. When she reached to grab a tissue paper from the bedside drawer, Khaleel went on his knees beside her, she pulled her hand away from him.

"Don't touch me. I need space please"

That did it.

He broke down, crying. Actual tears rolling down his cheek tormenting her already broken heart. For Khaleel to cry this is real business.

"Wallahi'l Azeem I can't do this alone Fateemah. I need you, Please. I don't know what to do, how to fix this.."

She looked away wiping away her tears which is of no use since they came rushing, in full blown motion.

"You lied to me. Why didn't you tell me about it.."

Taking her hands in his, he held on to them tightly needing assurance desperately. "Because I just found out"

She pulled her hands away forcefully as a big ugly sob escape her mouth. Just found out?! She is losing her mind. Ya Allah heal her. She is practically losing her mind.

"I am sorry for being so dependent on you but right now I can't be a husband to you Batool, I need my best friend, billahil Azeem I can't do this without you.." he plead with her "it feels like Mama's death all over again" this time, he caught her attention as her head swiped so fast to meet his eyes. She wrapped her hands around his neck hugging him tightly, feeling his tears on her skin, wishing he never uttered those words.

"It's not fair, don't say that. DanAllah Khaleel don't say that, I can't lose you"

"Batool she was raped. It's her rapist child she miscarried.."

Her heart stilled before she pulled away slowly hoping she misheard him, somehow even though she heard him loud and clear. "Remember Ya Khadi? Yes. She was raped, multiple times and I couldn't do anything.."

This time, she really did break down fully. "Why didn't you tell me? Innalilahi wa'ina ilayhi rajiun"

"Because I feel ashamed of myself, I wasn't there when I promised her I will help her. I.. Batool I failed her"

She hates hearing this much sadness laced in voice, she doesn't need him saying more because that will just break her heart more so she quickly covered his lips in a kiss. A kiss so hard, he almost fell backwards. A kiss so full of love and affection he wants to cry out of appreciation.