Chapter forty-one

Nigeria, Abuja.

***

Khaleel can still smell her lingering sweet scent on him, the feel on her lips on his and her heartbeat racing wildly against his chest. It feels like a dream. A far away dream he can't reach. Batool had messed him up, badly and she is currently ten thousand feet up in the air.

She had hugged him longer, kissed him deeper and whispered words, oh, so many longing words to his ear making the shivers run down his spine and the goosebumps to appear on his arms.

It was all too much emotions that the ride back home, from the airport, alone without her feels so lonely and troublesome. He decided to on the radio so the recitation of the Qur'an playing will calm his beating heart.

Did he say I love you back to Batool? Did he kiss her enough for her to know how much he loves her or did he utter the right words running circles in his head? Suddenly, he has doubt that Batool hasn't been showered with enough love she deserves. He hasn't been more showing than he should be. Why didn't he hold on to her tighter? Or let his hands pull her body closer to his until she could feel the love he has for her overpowering her. Clouding her. Consuming the whole of her..

"Ya Rabbi" he sighed feeling overly worried about their goodbye. He can still hear her words, the bizarre words she whispered into his ear, the feel of her laughter ringing in his head, or the way she smiled and lite up his whole world. He can see everything.. her staring at him with love, and so many unspoken words as she clinged unto him and uttered those words. Words that shook him to pieces, complete small pieces. The smallest piece he can ever be.

Khaleel has no idea how he drove but in two hours, he arrived home. Back to Aamirah. He took a deep breath trying to straighten his thoughts and calm his racing heart before turning off the engine and getting down.

With the smallest bit of piece left in him, he dragged his legs inside the house trying very hard to comprehend his surroundings. He can feel a very bad headache crawling up on his head probably from overthinking or simply being so overstressed lately but he felt it. Crawling up and consuming his mindset.

"Assalamualaikum" he called locking the door behind him.

The house is quiet, so quiet.

"Aamirah?" He called worriedly dropping the car keys on the dinning table and moving further inside the house. He raced down the halls and to their room trying not to think of the worst that happened when he was away. Right now, as he paused in front of the door, seeing Aamirah's limp body sprawled on the floor, his blood turned cold. He froze. Completely.

"Mimi!" He yelled moving closer to her and touching her unmoving body. He found the little notepad in front of her alongside a pen. She has been writing! A lot from the look of things.

"Aamirah, love," he caressed her eyebrow frightened to the core. When he pressed his hand on her chest, he felt the easing heartbeat, the comforting beat, assuring him it was alright and that's he is getting worked up for no reason.

Letting out a deep breath, he gently carried her from the floor and laid her on the bed. He thought he was gentle enough but Aamirah woke up yelling on the top of her lungs.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

He pressed her body on the bed securing her in place. "Shh, it's okay, it's just me"

"Khaleel?"

"Yes, my love"

She let out a visible sigh of relief closing her eyes firmly. "I thought.. I thought he.."

"Don't!" He cut her off feeling her pain resonated through his body. "Look at me.."

Aamirah inhaled deeply opening her eyes. He is close, so close to her laying almost on top of her with his hands holding her shoulders down, pressing  to the bed protectively.