Chapter forty-nine

One Year Later

Nightmares, again.

This time it wasn't Ya Zeezee or Mama that visited him, it was Ya Khadi. She was dressed in a black flowing hijab and her face illuminated so bright he almost didn't believe it was her. She looks nothing like the Ya Khadi he last met, the one with tears stricken face, red swollen eyes and scars all over her face from physical assault.

The Ya Khadi he met earlier was much more healthier. She was beaming, as if none of Hassan ever happened to her. They didn't talk much.. only about memories from the past. She teased him a lot about how he used to follow Batool all around the house like one pest.

Khaleel only laughed finding it funny but the truth is he has always been obsessed with Batool and he will always be overly obsessed with her.

It wasn't until he asked the question that has been bothering him, how are you here? That's when Ya Khadi stopped laughing and stared off into space for a long time. He can clearly recall her reply, the way her eyes dilated and her nose flared in anger.

She suddenly looked tensed. "Khaleel stop beating yourself over this. What happened has already happened, you can't change the past. Batool doesn't need this right now, she needs you, her habibiey"

His smile fell from his face too, suddenly he wants to cry. "I should have been there for her!"

Ya Khadi smiled. "It's okay Khaleel.. it will be okay. It will be okay. It's going to be.. Okay!"

Just like that, she was gone.

He sighed holding the box of chocolate croissants with cup of coffee in his hand. Ever since they arrived in Dubai, Batool wants this for breakfast every day so he wakes up extra early to get it for her.

The elevator is free mostly because people are still sleeping but he prefers to use the stairs even though their hotel room is on the third floor. He needs to exercise some more and free his mind from his disturbing nightmare before he meets Batool.

When he finally arrived, he heaved a deep breath before unlocking the door with the card in his pocket and pushing the door widely with his foot. Batool is awake.. he can hear the clatters of the closet opening so he walked straight to the room.

"Hi, Habibiey" she called closing the closet and moving to hug him.

"Good morning love. How are you feeling?"

"Better now that my breakfast is here" she replied sitting on the bed before quickly opening up the pack of croissants.

"Fateemah, answer me, please" he said worriedly searching her face for any sign of discomfort or pain.

"Khaleel.. it's nothing"

He exhaled deeply sitting beside her, "Where are you feeling pain?"

The tears wash down her face hard and fast without warning. She kept the food away quickly when Khaleel engulf her in a hug worriedly.

"Subhanalilah, habibty don't cry. Let's go to the hospital now.."

"No" she replied crying heavily. "They can't fix me Khaleel. They can't fix this"

His heart dropped in the pit of his stomach, his feet is cold, pale cold he is afraid blood is not flowing through his body anymore. "Don't say that Fateemah, Doctor Falak says–"

"Ibraheem just stop it. Stop it! I don't want to hear anything! I don't want to stay here longer. I just want to go back home.. I'm tired. Ya Rabbi!" She cried standing up. "I miss Raina, I want to go home to my baby"