Chapter forty-three

Nigeria, Abuja.

***

Aamirah has seen it all in so many shades.

The first three days, it was definitely a living nightmare. Aunty Kulthum, Jameelah, Myra and Kabeer flew out immediately to be with the family. That was when Ya Maamah broke down completely.

She let her huge frame, strong cover of a big sister fall and shatter to pieces. When Mama had died, her and Zeezee became the mothers. They grew up so quickly together and became tried the best to run the house just like their mother will if she alive. They learnt together, failed together and won together. It's clear to say that, they will never be okay for sometime.

Aamirah then saw a different side of Khaleel.. the side only Batool knows. She had witnessed him turn her out, act strong and then on rare occasions break down completely. It was on the fourth night, she abruptly woke up from sleep and found him in the bathroom, sitting on the floor robotically and not saying a single word. Aamirah was so scared, it didn't feel like Khaleel rather he felt like a stranger. A possessed stranger.

She quickly moved closer and all he said, repeatedly was, "Aamirah, I need numbness. I need to feel numb, Ya Rabbi"

She was beyond scared so she quickly called Batool who knew exactly what to do. Unlike her, Batool had a plan and she has everything under control. Ever since then, she hasn't seen Khaleel. Only a glimpse of him when they met in Ya Maamah's house randomly or him sending a rare text checking on her.

As much as it hurts her to be away from him, she doesn't mind him staying with Batool, as long as he gets better. She will live.

Besides, she hasn't had a single episode since he left and surprisingly she has been feeling much better and healthier. Her mind has been cleared and open, it feels like all negative emotions has been washed away from her body.

Maybe it has to do with seeing Khaleel so disoriented but after that awful night, she wants to be better. For him, for her sanity.. for, their future.

Jameelah knocked on the door bring Aamirah out of her thoughts, she turned to face her, "JamJam, what's with the bag?!" She gasped staring at Jameelah's luggage beside her.

"Myra, Kabeer and I are heading back to Sudan. It's been twelve days, Myra has school and I need to get back to work"

Aamirah sighed moving closer and hugging her. "I'll miss you, JamJam"

"I'll miss you too Mimi. Take care of yourself.. and Khaleel"

They hugged one more time before she escorted her to the door where Kabeer and Myra are already waiting. When she closed the door after their departure, she inhaled deeply walking to the bathroom to take a shower. She changed into her pink dress and casual white veil.

The house is quiet, so quiet because she is the only one here. The thought for a second makes her scared but then again.. she has to learn to live alone. It's not like Khaleel will be with her always or Jameelah will just relocate to her house because of her undying nightmares and anxiety.

When she heard the bell ring, her whole body stiffen up. She stayed back for some seconds ignoring the ringing resonating through the house.

The bell rang again. And again until she can no longer bare the sound so she nervously stood up and moved to the front door.

Breathe Mimi.

She put her hand on the cold door knob slowly pulling the door open and when she met Khaleel, standing few feet away from her casually dressed in a blue buttoned up shirt and jeans, she let out a breath of relief. She hasn't seen him in like forever.. so the emotions are running wild. All at once.