Chapter thirty-three

Nigeria, Abuja.

Part eight; Hajiya Hiba

Dearest sweet loving caring Ya Ashraf,

Okay before you start giving me the weird look wondering why I'm being nice let me tell you that I don't want anything from you.. I just need you to be calm. Because what I am about to tell you is life changing.. it is awful.

Here it goes..

When Aunty Hafsat left, people started talking. It was improper of him to stay in a house with only his niece. People spoke. They talked so loud he couldn't hide away from it.

So we left.. me and him.

He bought a new house in the other side of town and well, we lived I guess.

I was utterly shaken up by your death already so I could care less what he did to me.. I was numb. I just, I couldn't feel anything. I did not feel ANYTHING.

He always left minimum food for me. My job is to satisfy his needs, clean the small two bedroom house, cook for him and eat his leftovers.

I was dead Ya Ashraf.

Until I met a woman one day in the market. She was buying foodstuffs and I was next beside her waiting for my turn when a man accidentally brushed his hands on my back. I let out a blood curling yell falling to the ground shaking and crying. And crying. Right there in the market while everyone watched curiously.. disturbed.

Only Hajiya Hiba moved close to me worriedly wrapping her hands around me and calming me down.

I don't know how but when I woke up, I was in her house. She was looking at me concerned, so concerned I burst into tears of joy. I haven't seen that look in such a long time.. it felt weird.

A lot happened but let me just tell you that Hajiya Hiba is like a mother to me. You would have loved her.

She is sweet, kind, gentle and she has a very pure heart. I told her my story and she was very sympathetic with me. She promised to help me no matter what

The first time she tried talking to him, he beat me up badly. He threatened to kill me if I involved outsiders in his business and I was so scared.

Hajiya Hiba did not give up on me.

She meets up with me when he is not around to feed me, clean me up and console me. She even brought her daughter Sakinah. I was healing slowly.

Then, it all came crashing down.

This is so disgusting..

But Hajiya Hiba saw the signs first.

I can clearly remember the look of horror on her face when she noticed.

It was horrible.

I couldn't believe it, not until I took a test.

I, Aamirah was pregnant at the mere age of sixteen.

I was pregnant with my rapist child.

My rapist who is my uncle.

My uncle who was suppose to protect me.

Protect me from people with ugly characters.

I am ashamed to say this but that night,

I almost committed suicide.

I know your probably angry at me and you will probably start lecturing me on how Islam frowns on suicide but I was just so lost.