Chapter fifty

Borno State.

***

Aamirah can feel the sweat tickling down her back and the scorching hot sun burning her face. Unlike the previous week, today is insanely sunny she can barely keep up. She sighed softly when she spotted the driver waiting for her. When she buckled in, she turned to greet him.

"Sannu" Mallam Hassan, the driver offered putting on the air conditioner. "How is Hajiya feeling?"

Aamirah pulled on a tight smile on her lip, "Alhamdulilah, she is doing much better"

"May Allah grant her quick recovery"

"Ameen, thank you" she replied watching as they pull away from the hospital. This week has been beyond stressful for her. As if her lectures and the exams quickly approaching wasn't nerve-wracking enough, Mama had another attack just some days ago.

Aamirah can clearly remember coming home from lectures to find the house empty. No one was at home, even her two brothers, Jamal and AbdulJaleel were no where to be found so she decided to stroll to Ummah, Abdul's mother's side. Surprisingly, she wasn't home too which almost never happened. Aamirah then began to panic so she called Amina who was crying hysterically.

It was a miracle when she made it to the hospital in one piece, Mama's heart almost failed on them. Again! Aamirah was beyond shaken up, she had tried to stay strong but when she met AbdulJaleel, her youngest brother crying, she broke down too. It seemed so real.. especially when her stepfather came rushing with fear brimming in his eyes. They all thought that was the end but Mama pulled through, somehow.

Aamirah let out another deep sigh, she hasn't been home in two days mostly because she stays at the hospital with Mama. Today, Amina managed to convince her to go home and rest for awhile before she returns to the hospital.

She hates leaving Mama, so much. A part of her is scared when she is away, Mama might breath her last and that will be the end. She doesn't want to be away when Mama lets out her last breath, she would hate for that to happen. She wants to soak up the last moments, the last hug, the last kiss and the last advice her mother can give her at the moment.

"We've arrived" Mallam Hassan announced bringing her thoughts to an end.

"Oh, thank you" she unbuckled her seatbelt before getting down and making her way to her mother's side. She unlocked the door and looked around the quiet house, the boys are over in Ummah's side with their siblings so she doesn't have to worry about them.

Aamirah quickly set her bag down before having a long relaxing bath. She was quick to dress up in a maroon and golden material gown before scrutinizing through the fridge for any leftovers to heat up simply because she is too exhausted to cook anything.

She knows Amina offered to sleep the night with Mama but there is no way she can stay further away from Mama. After an hour nap, she is getting a taxi to the hospital with some fresh clothes for Mama and anything else she might need.

The nap was harder than she thought because when she closed her eyes she saw him, standing right before her in all his glory and beauty. The dream is the same as always, one minute she has him in her embrace and the next minute he wasn't there.

The tears roll down her face hot and fast. Sometimes she can't believe how much of a mess she is. As if she doesn't know how the dream will end. The dream that happens every single day for a whole year.

Since the nap has been proven as a complete failure, she decided to just get ready and go back to the hospital. She needs to be surrounded by her mother's limp, weak hands around her body. She needs to be around Amina and her bubbly personality not here, alone, overpowered by thoughts of Khaleel.