Chapter 3: Grateful

Darkness, that's all I see and all I see in the man before. His face is of pure evil, truly a villain. In fear, I go to cover my body, but the chains on my wrists stop my movement.

"What?" Chuckling, my father walks towards me grabbing a handful of my hair. His actions cause me to look upon his eyes, he doesn't need to say anything I know his intentions.

He speaks anyways,"You are my creation. No matter how much you deny it child, I own you. You can run and even hide, but you will never escape me. I am a part of you, I always will be." Suddenly he drops me, then stoops down to my eye level.

"Let's get on with this shall we, Darl-"

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My body shoots forward from my alarm and the nightmare. I grab the sheets while my chest rises and falls rapidly. Fuck... I thought these damn pills were suppose to help with the nightmares. I've been taking these ever since Toshi saved me, and that was seventeen years ago. Leaning across the bed I switch my alarm off and grab the pill bottle to examine it.

"Tsk, these are utter garbage. Looks like I'll be getting a higher dosage." Slowly I rise out of bed only to be shaken from the brisk air of my apartment. I need a shower. A hot long shower. I walk to the bathroom and strip my clothes off slowly. I look in the mirror finding the scars from my father and a few new bruises from my hero work. I brush the thoughts away and shrugging my shoulders I step into the shower. After showering, I put on some comfy fuzzy pants and a baggy t-shirt since I don't have to work today. I saunter over to my nightstand and grab my phone to check for any messages. Surprisingly I see one from Toshi. Wonder what it's about? I'll call him instead of texting. I dial his number and wait for him to answer.

After five rings he answers, "Hello?"

"Hey Toshi, you texted me and I just wanted to call instead of texting. You know how texting is bothersome to me."

"Oh yes! I wanted to tell you that I'm officially a teacher at U.A. now!"

"Oh congrats. Is that all?"

"Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." I slowly make my way to couch.

I plop down finally giving Toshi an answer, "Yeah I guess you can say that."

"Is the medicine not working, Hikari?" I can already sense he is pacing back and forth on the other line.

"It's fine, Toshi. Don't worry yourself with my problems. Anyways, did you have anything else to discuss?"

"Yes, I do actually, but I want to talk about it in person. How about brunch at my house, lets say at twelve?" Must be really important. It's not that I don't ever visit Toshinori, it's just we both have busy schedules so we don't really have time. I love him to death, but I just really don't know how to express my feelings that well.

Breaking my thoughts, I answer, "Um, yeah. Sounds like a plan. Do you want me to cook, or do you?"

"How about you cook! You know I always enjoy your cooking!"

"Oh that's why you want me to come over. So I can feed your skinny ass."

"Ouch, but yes. I want to see you as well! It's been a while since we had a little Father-Daughter time."

"Okay. Okay. I'll be there at twelve. I'll need to go to the market first to get groceries. Then afterwards I'll be over there okay?"

"Awesome! Alright I'll see you here in a few hours then! I love you, sweetheart!"

"Yeah, love you too, Toshi." I hung up the phone and threw it beside me. Ugh, I want to see Toshinori, but I'm so tired. Maybe I should just call him back and tell him I can't come because I don't feel good. On the contrary, I really am curious about what he needs to talk to me about? I guess I better get up and go shopping then. My curiosity is getting the best of me. I look at the clock above the TV in front of me, it reads 9:58 a.m. Yep. I better get dressed and head on out. Sighing I push my tired body off the couch and saunter back to my bed. I walk over to my closet and pick out an outfit. A dark green T-shirt, black jeans, and my compact boots. I'm just going to see Toshi, so I am not trying to impress anyone. Not like I care what people think about me anyways.

I put on my outfit, brush my teeth, then head for the door. I grab my keys, cigarettes, and lighter, then walk out the apartment locking it behind me. I close my eyes and take a deep breath of the fresh air around me. Slowly I open them and gaze at the sky above me. It is actually quite a nice day today. Very beautiful, and feels cool. Just how I like it. I begin walking towards the market. The market is only a ten minute walk from my apartment, and then another ten minutes to Toshinori's house. Plenty of time for me to get all the ingredients, and a smoke break. I need one after last night.

I kept walking as I pull the pack of cigarettes from my pocket, taking a cigarette out I put it in my mouth. I take the lighter from my pocket and light the cigarette. I take a nice long inhale, immediately feeling the burn in my throat. Taking it from my mouth, I smile at the feeling. Nothing is better than having one of these after a long hard-My thoughts were cut short by someone ramming into me knocking the cigarette out my hand.

Enraged I yell, "WHY DON'T YOU WATCH WHERE YOU ARE WALKING, ASSWIPE!" The person who bumped into me, turned out to be a raven haired man with a gray scarf wrapped around his neck. I couldn't see his face since his back was towards me, but I could definitely tell they were a guy by his body figure. He turned his gaze to my fallen cigarette and then straight ahead.

"Did you a favor, be grateful."That was the only sentence I got from him as he slowly walked away from me.

"Asshole."