Chapter 20: Liability

"Damn it, Hikari. That hurts."

"Oh will you stop being a tit! I'm trying my best here with one arm!" Shota sat before me as I tried my best to unstick the gauze from his stitched cheek. Me and Shota stayed in the hospital for about five more days until they finally let us go. I was going to return home since the wounds on my back were healed, but I decided to help Shota out instead. He took care of me, so I might as well return the favor. Finally, I had unwrapped his whole face, leaving him only to glare at me.

"I told you I could do this mys-"

"WILL YOU SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY?!? I said I was fine helping you out! Also how could you have done this yourself? Unless you wanted Hizashi to do it instead?" I yelled back at him while throwing the used gauze on the couch.

"I think I prefer you in that case." I just chuckled at the thought of Hizashi trying to care for Shota, talk about train wreck. I studied his unwrapped face for a few seconds noticing little details of his feature. The hair on his chin had grown out a little longer while the bags under his eyes had grown darker than before. I raised my left hand and gently ran my fingers across the stitching on his right cheek. He flinched underneath my touch, but didn't speak. I felt bad that he was this hurt mostly because of me, but I didn't dare bring that topic up again.

"The stitches are holding up pretty well. How is your eye sight?"

"It's fine." He replied pulling away from my touch to hang his head low. He's been acting a little distant since I hugged him. Did I make it too weird? I probably did. I'm such an idiot. I hear a loud purr and when I look down Kuro has laced his body in between Shota's legs. I smiled at the cats sudden contact, but quickly frowned noticing Shota's facial expression. He just stared at the ground with a frown plastered upon his face.

I wonder what's eating him up? If I ask him would it be too weird? Wait, would he even tell me in the first place? Not wanting to use my words, I just use my actions to force the truth from him. I slowly raised my hand and put my thumb and pointer finger on his chin. Giving a slight tug, I made him look up at me. When his halflidded black eyes met mine, all I could see was fear. I don't know what from, but it was there.

Taking my hand from his chin, I pushed a strand of hair away from his cheek and tucked it behind his ear. To my surprise, his hair was actually quite soft; feeling like silk between my fingers as I ran them through it. His eyes never left mine, they looked as though they were pleading to me for help. I never knew a gaze like this could make my heart feel so heavy it might sink into my stomach.

"You know you can tell me anything." I stated as I finally tore my eyes from him.

"Yeah."

"I just thought I might put that out there. Sometimes, it's better to tell someone your feelings instead of keeping them to yourself." He turned his head to the side to where I could only see from his left cheek to the back of his hair. Maybe eventually he will open up to me. I shouldn't care, but I do. I grab the dirty bandages with my left hand and stride off to the kitchen to throw them away.

The rest of the night, Shota didn't speak. Not a single word fell from his lips. It worried me, and I began to doubt if my presence here with him is even worth it. We ate and watched TV until about 10:50 pm. Shota suddenly stood from his chair and walked upstairs, lightly closing the door behind him. Kuro had made his way over to me and I reached down to pet the spot in between his ears. I picked him up with my left hand and put him down on the couch cushion, then pulled a cover over him.