Chapter 38: Letters

Shota's POV

"My Savior." Her voice, nothing less than just a croak, pierces my soul as she peers up at me with a bloodied smile and tear stained eyes. Please no... I press hard against her abdomen to keep her blood within her own body instead on the floor.

Her cold fingertips slowly fall from my face when I see her chest come to a complete stand still. My eyes widen and my breaths quicken when I notice her lifeless eyes. I immediately untangle my hands from the blood soaked scarf, I start chest compressions trying to bring her back to me.

"Please, please, please come back. Don't leave me. Please no." Tears stream down my face as I stare at her parted lips, red liquid barely oozing from the corners of her mouth. Oh God, no. If there is a God, I beg of you, bring her back to me. I'll give my life for hers, she doesn't need to die like this.

"Come b-back to m-me... I st-still have plans f-for us, H-Hikari..." I sob as my chest compressions slowly come to a halt. My trembling hands slowly lift from her chest, I trace my finger up from her chest all the way to her right cheek. She's... so cold...

Lifting my hand from her cheek, I close her eyelids with my fingers, tears still falling from my eyes. I lift her lifeless body and place her in my lap, holding her tightly as I place her head on my chest. My ray of light... has disappeared...

"Y-you are my s-sunshine, m-my only sun-shine. You make me h-happy when skies are gr-gray. You'll n-never know de-dear, how much I l-love you. Pl-please don't take my sun-sunshine away..." I whisper sing to her and myself to try to comfort us both.

I grip her hair tighter as I push her body as close as humanly possible. I lean in close to her head and press my shaky lips to her forehead, after pulling away from her forehead I rest my head against her own.

It hurts... it hurts so much. It's just like Shira, it's him all over again, I couldn't save them. And yet... her last words to me were "My Savior". I hear the shuffling of footsteps coming up the stairs and I only grip her body tighter.

"Hikari!" I hear All Might yell as he enters the room where everything transpired. I close my tear stained eyes, feeling ashamed to look her father in the face.

"No..." I hear All Might drop to his knees right in front of me and a wave of desperation and agony fill me. I know other people fill the room, but I only pay attention to Hikari and All Might, knowing I let both of them down.

"A-All Mi-Might I'm-"

"Don't... Don't blame yourself, Aizawa." Lifting my eyelids I come face to face with the number one hero, tears pooled at the bottoms of his eyes. He places one hand of the top of her head and the other one on mine like he's comforting the both of us.

"Look at her, Aizawa." Taking his advice I look down at the woman I cherish the most in this world. She looks so-

"At peace. She's finally allowed to rest and she's free from pain and suffering. She knows it wasn't your fault and she wouldn't ever blame you or anyone else. S-She did this for you and for Kenzou, she's like your s-savior." All Might begins to croak at the end, and I'm hit with a wave of realization. He's right... But that still doesn't mean I don't want her here with me. I want to hold her... feel her... love her... I want her. Nodding my head in agreement, he finally lifts both of his hands from our heads.