Chapter 17

Susan had left about an hour ago and the boys are skilfully avoiding the label subject. It was starting to get on my nerves, Danny and Mark are barely talking and if they are it’s to insult each other. Glen is playing the innocent middle man, but I can see he’s upset by what ever happened.

“Yeah, you’d know all about fucking up wouldn’t you Daniel. Everything you do is a fuck up, it all just falls apart as soon as you touch it.” Mark snapped, voice full of venom. That was uncalled for. And pushes all of Danny’s buttons. I don’t even know what someone said to get that from Mark, but being called Daniel is never a good sign.

“Seriously!” Glen exclaimed. “Just stop.” It was too late though, Danny was already crossing the room, and before we could stop him he punched Mark.

“Shit, Danny, stop right now.” I shouted, grabbing his arm and pulling him away. Mark was grabbing his nose, shit, there was a lot of blood. “Glen, take Mark. I have Danny.” With that I pulled Danny to my room and closed the door. “What the fuck Dan.” He had tears in his eyes, he collapsed onto the bed and let his head drop into his hands. I’d never really seen him like this, I sat beside him. “Danny, please, talk to me.” He was crying now.

“I fuck everything up don’t I. Mark is right.” He gasped.

“No. Mark is angry, he doesn’t mean that at all. You are not a fuck up, you do not make things fall apart. You are the kindest person I know, with the ability to make even the most upset people smile. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.” I insisted, making him look up.

“It was my fault. I just. I shouldn’t have argued with them all. I thought the boys would agree. Obviously not. And the label weren’t happy with what I had to say. I fuck everything up, I fucked it all up.” The sadness was overwhelming, I’ve never seen him this upset.

“Danny, please talk to me. Tell me what happened. Come on.” I pleaded, trying not to cry, but his face was so upsetting.

“They wanted to send us to America.” He sighed, stopping whilst he cried some more. “I said no, I argued so much. I couldn’t go. Not now. I thought the boys felt the same way. But they hate me for saying it.” Strangled sobs left his body, it was heart-breaking. I pulled him into a hug.

“Come on, why can’t you go to America?”

“I can’t leave you behind.” So quietly it was barely there, but it had tears rolling down my face.

“Danny.” I sighed.  I can’t believe that he had done that, for me of all people.

“We are both broken, for once I want to fix something. Just once.”

“Danny, you have fixed so much. Look at your fans, how many stories do you hear about people hearing your music and finding a way out of a dark place?”

“But now it’s the end. The boys hate me, we can’t go on like this anymore. I just punched Mark in the fucking face. What was I thinking?”