Chapter 55 - Wide eyed

The following minutes seemed to last longer than forever. Had Harry been right? Or had he been oh so wrong? Harry rubbed his hands through his untidy hair as his eyes troubled with tears. He pulled his roots, biting his lip as he couldn't find the strength to look them in the eye. "I'm not sure I can handle this," Harry whispered as professor Dumbledore's words vividly echoed through his head.

"I am so sorry, Harry. I wish we could tell you different. I am saddened to inform you that I've had you obliviated in the past. Professor Snape and I decided this was the only way to keep you on the right tracks. We have decided to tell you this today because..."

The truth became inaudible the longer Dumbledore went on. Harry closed his eyes, rubbing his face as tears drew down his cheeks, a strike of breath leaving his throat as the final words dropped and left the room bare and cold. How it happened no longer mattered to him. What happened would never leave his memory. It was only the confirmation coming from Dumbledore's mouth that broke him to pieces.

"... that he's dead."

Harry shook his head, unable to keep his emotions to their limits, and cried.

"Draco Malfoy did not survive the damage inflicted on his body. Once Severus found him it was too late. I am so sorry, Harry."

"How," Harry cried under his breath. "How could you! How could you lie to me..."

"It's okay," a comforting voice spoke from next to him. Harry opened his eyes and looked aside, watching as Draco knelt down next to him, rubbing his knee. Harry gasped, crying out in fear and pain as he jumped up from his seat - trying to keep his balance.

"Please," Harry yielded. "Don't-"

***

"Is he awake?"

"Shut up, you're scaring him."

"-Says who?"

Harry tried to open his eyes. Though this took great effort, and the lights seemed to burn his pupils,

the longer he gazed the world seemed to reappear. A crowd of smiling folks stood around him and

greeted him gradually.

"Draco?" Harry muttered as he wanted to get up, but his body didn't budge.

Ron raised a brow and followed the crowd to see if anyone would join.

"Aren't we good enough for you?"

Hermione hit him on the head and shuffled closer to Harry who remained to be drained of colour.

"Are you okay, Harry? You scared us all to bits."

Madam Pomfrey came waltzing in with her hands held high as she cried.

"Get out of the way, everyone. You are giving this boy a stroke with all the questions."

The group spread out like butter on warm toast and watched from afar as Pomfrey checked the boy's temperature. "How are you feeling dear?"

Harry could barely speak. His mouth was dry and his body weak. As if he hadn't been using his muscles for days.

"What happened?" he muttered as he slowly rocked his head from side to side.

"You've had a mild concussion, that's all, dear."

Harry gulped and tried to climb out of bed - resulting for his arms to swing half-cross the air, his body unable to grand him what he wanted. "I need to go," he stammered as he managed to kick one foot out of bed. "I need to go..."

"Mister Potter, I've been asked to keep you in bed. I cannot allow-"

"I need to..." Harry cried as he swung his arms against Madam Pomfrey's side to push her away. "Let me go through!"

The crowd looked from afar - great worry coming from their faces, and a perfect, Harry could not extinguish, asked them all to leave. Harry cried and gasped for breath as several nurses came running in and were asked to keep him down.

"I am not crazy!"

"Call for Professor Sprout," Madam Pomfrey yelled at painting the lady in white - hanging from the west-side wall. "Tell her to bring us a new batch of aconite."

Pomfrey raised her wand and drew a line above Harry's panicking face. A green fog landed down on his forehead and he fell fast asleep.

Madam Pomfrey sighed as the other nurses let go of the boy. She took the empty vial of wideye potion and gave it to one of the nurses. "We will try it again later. But not tonight."