Chapter 31 - Kiss of death

He, like the fragrant taste of rain, both destroyed and delighted him. For far too long he hadn't been able to enjoy his presence, yet now he was back everything seemed to be so much different. He took his glasses, rubbing his eyes before he took a rest against the wall – looking outside the window, trying to ease his mind with the view.

"Why take the effort?" he muttered after he thumbed the tip of his tongue along his lips. "Why do you come to see me? What makes you?" Throwing a glance back over his shoulder, he saw Draco pinching his lower arm; the dark sign was burning his skin.

"It hurts, doesn't it?"

"What do you know about it?" Draco loosened up his tie, rushing his fingers through his hair. "Don't tell me you have any idea of what you're talking about."

Harry shrugged, staring at the tip of his fancy black shoes. He felt ridiculous for coming here. For still caring at all.

"What about that kiss?" Harry asked nonetheless. "Don't tell me it was nothing."

"Believe what you want to believe, Potter."

It left him breathless.

Malfoy marched through the tower, rubbing his chin before he took the time to speak again. "Lucky, I was."

Harry looked up, pursing his lips as he waited for whatever he had to say.

"I went into a coma. Severe bloodloss got my pressure low. But Professor Snape came. He saved me. If it wasn't for him, I would've died." Malfoy narrowed his eyes, looking down at his scarred enemy – relentless. "Don't you ever dare to say that we were lovers. You're dead to me."

"It was me who send him there," Harry confessed in vain. "I had no idea of what I was doing. Never before did I use that spell."

"Makes you irresponsible." Draco scoffed. "I am the chosen one. Me! Yet you get the credit."

"Is that what you were doing it for?"

Draco didn't reply. In silence he looked down on him, enjoying his power. Loving how he felt like someone at last.

"You were trying to get inside my head... You were a death eater all along."

"Don't go melodramatic on me, Potter. I hate to see you like this. I can't believe you considered yourself as the potential chosen one..." Draco paused. A twitch in his brow betrayed him; along with the way he crossed his fingers to loosen his up his joints. His voice became awfully small, and as he took a breath he leaned in – watching his enemy from up close. "You are," Draco continued, his face troubled, "but to die."

Without sharing another word, or waiting for response, he held Harry's head placing his lips on his to seal his words; his tongue slipping in through the gape between his lips. Harry got drowsy. His mind was controlled by a psychotic teenager; feared of being unloved. And yet he kissed back. Hungrily, ignorant, his hands tangling the edges of his collar to pull him closer His glasses knocked against his brow ridge, their faces so close their noses pushed against the creases of their skin. They kissed. Harry; desperate, unwilling to let it die.

Draco pushed him away. He gasped for breath before he got back on his feet, biting his lip before he turned away from him. Like a layer, ready to be shed, his teeth tore his skin.

"You got what you wanted," Draco said as he wiped his mouth.

"And what is that?"

"Eternal pain."